ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with doctor v64

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peppe021203

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Help with doctor v64 Reply with quote

I managed to get myself one a few weeks ago but it seems to have this problem where it boots fine but all buttons do nothing except for the menu button and when i press it i hear this popping noise and the backing up game screen comes up even when there is no game or N64 connected, how do i fix this?
mrforever

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unmount v64 and see cable connector of buttons and clean it with alcohol.
Peppe021203

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrforever wrote:
unmount v64 and see cable connector of buttons and clean it with alcohol.

just tried it, didn't work

edit: nevermind, i cleaned the button contacts and now it's all good

edit 2: problem just showed up again, the fix was temporary
mrforever

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the fix was temporary take the contact cleaner (with no oil) and spray into connector of cables.
Peppe021203

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrforever wrote:
if the fix was temporary take the contact cleaner (with no oil) and spray into connector of cables.

just used this, problem's still there.
Peppe021203

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update: now it's not even turning on, nothing works except for the CD drive
mrforever

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppe021203 wrote:
A little update: now it's not even turning on, nothing works except for the CD drive

mmmh i think that it be should from doctor v64 power supply... if you have a tester please check the voltage output from psu.
Peppe021203

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrforever wrote:
Peppe021203 wrote:

mmmh i think that it be should from doctor v64 power supply... if you have a tester please check the voltage output from psu.

i think this might be the case too. Unfortunately for me, this power supply is really hard to find considering stores don't sell this and on ebay i can only find the doctor itself with a power supply
mrforever

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppe021203 wrote:
mrforever wrote:
Peppe021203 wrote:

i think this might be the case too. Unfortunately for me, this power supply is really hard to find considering stores don't sell this and on ebay i can only find the doctor itself with a power supply

if the psu have screws it can be opened and repaired from a good electronics technician.
NorQue

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily build one yourself out of a 12V/5V PSU like this and a mini DIN 4 pin connector (there are a bunch of cables with that connector on Amazon.com) and this pinout:

4=12v
3=5v
1=GND
2=GND

I've built a bunch of them myself, last one I made was using a Meanwell RD-35A as power source.

CZroe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d just go to a thrift store and find an external drive or enclosure with a 4-pin PSU. Same thrift store will usually have an S-Video cable. Cut, splice, done… and probably has more amps on 12v than the original that couldn’t reliably power most 5.25” CD drives faster than the old 8x that were often bundled with it.
NorQue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with these cheap-o power supplies usually is they introduce a lot of random noise in the picture from the V64 side. I assume its design isn't the very best for noise. I have a bunch of original Bung PSUs and PSUs I built myself out of various other PSUs and that Meanwell one is finally the first one I get a nearly noise free image from the V64 side. Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things since you only look at the V64 output for as long as it takes to load a game but... yeah. Wink
CZroe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of the original Bung PSUs myself with one being built in a way where you have to break connections to remove the PCB… but that wasn’t the reason I was using a replacement.

In the ‘90s my twin bro repaired our PSU with bent pins by amateurly splicing an S-Video cable onto it. We were teenagers so it wasn’t pretty, but it worked.

Eventually a friend stepped on the CD-ROM drive tray and broke it. The original PSU didn’t have enough juice for the replacement drive so I had the whole thing taken apart with an ATX PC PSU powering the drive… which worked but it was janky.

Eventually I lost parts I needed to properly reassemble the V64 and it developed a memory error on the third DRAM bank so I bought another from Lik-Sang and set the first aside for parts. This meant I had a new PSU too.

The replacement came with a laptop drive but it was defective. The disc would not read and I soon figured out that it wasn’t spinning up. You could even feel a crunchy spot in the rotation when you tried to turn it manually. I realized that it got easier and easier the more you forced it past and eventually it was able to spin up and turn on its own. It still couldn’t read but it was now turning on its own and at a higher speed than I could ever do manually which quickly eliminated the bad spot. After a few tries it was able to read a disc! …and suddenly stopped, never reading them successfully again. Sad

Though I hated to give up the special “V64” branded slimline to 5.25” bay bezel, I had to switch to my replacement drive that neither PSU could handle and I was right back to square one. As a teenager 22 years ago I simply didn’t have the means to get a proper replacement that worked with the original PSU. Eventually I made a proper replacement PSU using a 4-pin PSU from an old drive enclosure, which worked great.

These days I’ve fixed up both original PSUs and installed an 8x Matsushita like my first unit originally had but I’m back to the board from my original unit with the same DRAM error on the third bank. I traced the error to a bad Bung-branded ASIC that you can’t easily replace. A leaky battery pack from a Wavebird Wireless controller leaked into the vent on my second unit, destroying the exact chip responsible for the DRAM error on this one. All the surrounding traces are ruined too. Just my luck!

Switching noise from a cheap PSU may well have been visible/audible but I never noticed. Even with the original PSU the V64 degrades the console’s video quality and I hated the audio spatializer effect so much that I always bypassed the pass-thru AV connections entirely… swapping inputs to manage both screens. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: