ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Troubleshooting newly-acquired Super Wild Card DX
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldManBaka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:55 am    Post subject: Troubleshooting newly-acquired Super Wild Card DX Reply with quote

So, in the course of my midlife crisis--which has manifested as attempting to reclaim the SNES collection I lost in a fire some 25 years ago--I acquired a Super Wild Card DX. It doesn't totally work, unfortunately. (But hey, it was cheap!)

It can dump cartridge SRAM and ROM to floppy disk and the data checks out (i.e. the ROM dump CRC matches what's in the database for that cart, and the save data is intact) and it can successfully write SRAM back to cartridges...

However, its DRAM self-test fails, showing 0M (Instead of the 32Mb it has installed) and any attempts to run ROMs from disk/memory or even the built-in game, crashes to a black screen. It also won't boot without a cartridge in the slot, which tells me something is wrong with its knockoff CIC as well. It had a leaking battery which I removed and cleaned up (But haven't replaced yet) and I couldn't find any further damage, but clearly something is borked.

Based on that information, where should I be concentrating my efforts? I don't know enough about the device's innards. Like, I don't even know which chip is the CIC to check the connections to it. 😓

Thanks in advance for any guidance! 🙏
mrforever

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.nightfallcrew.com/01/06/2015/super-wildcard-dx-32mb-diagnosisrepair/
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to put a cartridge to boot it may be because your console region doesn't match the CIC in the SWCDX or the jumpers near the CIC are not configured properly.

The battery is not needed to operate.

Although pics of the damaged area/mem board would help, I would concentrate my efforts on the memory board slot and the nearby components to the battery. Those battery leaks are insidious and often propagate to different zones around it, mostly slots, ics, connectors and especially vias
OldManBaka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you need to put a cartridge to boot it may be because your console region doesn't match the CIC in the SWCDX or the jumpers near the CIC are not configured properly.
Well, it is a Super Famicom, so I guess the SWCDX could be regioned for USA.

As far as configuring the jumpers, the CIC jumper is J6, right? Is it only |:|:|: or :|:|:| ? I would assume so, since you're either enabling or bypassing the onboard CIC.

In case it means anything, the main jumpers, under the DRAM board, are in this configuration:

JP2 :|:|:||:|: JP12

So, this is interesting... My CIC jumpers were |:|:|: so I swapped them... Still didn't boot without a cart, but once I swapped them back, ROMs actually boot now. I have no idea why. That shouldn't have done anything to make them work, right? And it still doesn't boot without a cartridge. ðŸĪ” I'd already reseated all the ICs the last time I worked on it and nothing changed, so it couldn't be as simple as that...

What purpose does the battery serve anyway, just maintaining SRAM data across power cycles so you can save it to disk after you reboot? I've heard people mention replacing it with a capacitor. I might do that even though I already bought a replacement battery.

The DRAM still fails self-test. What tool do I need to split ROMs across multiple disks? Because it occurs to me that so far I've been able to load a ROM off one disk and that's it, I should test multi-disk loading. ðŸĪ”

If the CIC is borked, what can I replace it with? I assume one of those PIC-based CICs won't work without a bit more work, because of the different footprints.
OldManBaka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrforever wrote:
https://www.nightfallcrew.com/01/06/2015/super-wildcard-dx-32mb-diagnosisrepair/

Ah, I missed your reply entirely. Thanks! I'll have to check that GAL and its socket. Though I'm not seeing any battery damage beyond the immediate vicinity of the battery contacts, and I cleaned that all up. I seem to have caught it early. (Certainly nothing like the corrosion spots throughout the groundplane in those pics, yikes! 😎)

How would I go about testing the GAL? ðŸĪ”
Keyell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now let's take this one step at a time.

-CIC is suspected to not work.

For this, I would recommend either removing it from a doner cartridge or considering using a SuperCIC. However, I don't know if the superCIC will work with the custom glue logic inside a copier. So this is truly no-mans land. It works on real hardware but copier-land....is copier-land.

http://www.dbwbp.com/index.php/10-electronic-projects/24-snes-cart-region-free-modification-replacing-cic-lockout-chip-with-supercic

I can program the 12F629 that is meant for cartridges (in this case the copier) if you think you need it for a very low fee. Basically shipping. It is no problem.

I think my TL866 can program a GAL16V8D but I've never tried.
OldManBaka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyell wrote:
For this, I would recommend either removing it from a doner cartridge or considering using a SuperCIC. However, I don't know if the superCIC will work with the custom glue logic inside a copier. So this is truly no-mans land. It works on real hardware but copier-land....is copier-land.

Okay, well... I already have a few PIC12F629 that I was going to program as SuperCICs for making dev carts, I'll give those a try given that the only 'donor' carts I have aren't of the same region as my console. If all else fails I can burn a PIC16F630 with the console-side SuperCIC...as I'd rather not resort to modding the console unless I have to. ðŸĪ”

Thanks for the offer, but given the sort of stuff I'm going to be doing, if my old GQ-4X programmer isn't up to either of these tasks, then it's time for me to upgrade anyway. 👍

EDIT: Oh, I assume the CIC is the one whose traces very obviously go through the J6 jumper block? (A socketed DIP16 that just says "96813" on it)
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend putting a super CIC just now, first because these haven't been thoroughly tested with these machines, second because it's easier to troubleshoot with a regular CIC. You can get one from a donor SNES cart if needed.

The battery is only needed to keep the content of the SRAM when the copier is off. A quick off/on shouldn't wipe out its content but yes, you should be able to put a cap instead.

Your priority should be to fix these RAM issues. You're saying you were able to load small games without any glitch? Maybe one ram IC is bad then, that can happen too.
uCON64 is the tool you're looking for for any conversion.
OldManBaka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
I wouldn't recommend putting a super CIC just now, first because these haven't been thoroughly tested with these machines, second because it's easier to troubleshoot with a regular CIC. You can get one from a donor SNES cart if needed.

Well, the only donor carts I have are US, and it's a JP console... That's not gonna work, right?

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
Your priority should be to fix these RAM issues. You're saying you were able to load small games without any glitch? Maybe one ram IC is bad then, that can happen too.
Yeah, so far the largest ROM I've loaded was a translation of Romancing SaGa, it barely fit on a single disk. Okay, so I'll split a full 32Mb ROM across disks and give it a go, thanks.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldManBaka wrote:

Well, the only donor carts I have are US, and it's a JP console... That's not gonna work, right?

JAP and US carts use the same CIC, the D411, so yes that will work.
OldManBaka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
JAP and US carts use the same CIC, the D411, so yes that will work.

Oh, then it's all good. I'll get on that, then! 😁
OldManBaka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got sidetracked with holiday nonsense, so I haven't gotten much further with diagnostics and repairs...

But I tried a multi-disk game... A 16mbit game, it loaded, ran... I messed around in the options menu for a bit, but when I went to start the game, it locked up. And now the SWC is back to not running any ROMs... 😑 I reseated everything, cleaned all the connections, no change. And then I realized my dumb ass didn't even do a self-test to see what the DRAM test said when the unit was working. UGH. 👉ðŸĪŠðŸ’Ļ

Well, whatever...

I'm going to start with some basic stuff; try a donor CIC (given that--as part of this lunacy--I also bought a CiB Japanese Super Scope, yet my old SS6 cart is one of the ones I still have for some reason...it's going under the iron as a donor!) to try and restore its ability to boot without a cartridge... And I'm also going to replace all the electrolytic caps with some fresh brand name ones, as well as replacing the previously removed battery with a cap. I'll see where that gets me and report back. ðŸĪž

Merry Christmas all, I'm off to enjoy some holiday dinner with a side of Christmas movies! (Starting with Die Hard, of course. 😏)
OldManBaka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: SOLVED (For the most part.) Reply with quote

So, funny story... Despite tooling up to perform in-depth diagnostics on this thing and even tracking down some replacement DRAM chips in case the memory was bad, it turned out to be something ridiculously simple. There was an imperceptible break in the trace from pin 11 of the PEEL at U9 (By the DRAM daughterboard header) between the pin and the first via on the trace...it was actually right by a wonkily-soldered leg on D2. Almost makes me think somebody damaged the trace somehow while replacing some of the components. Anyway, I ran a bodge wire, memory tests good; 32M. It seems to be working now. The CIC thing is still an issue, but that was a far smaller concern than "Magicom no do magic!" 😏 Besides, I should have everything I need to work that out.

Shame I can't even upgrade the DRAM with this extra memory I have now, at least not based on the footprints on the DRAM daughterboard. ðŸĪ” Are there designs out there for 48 or 96M DRAM boards? I could maybe have a batch spun up before Shenzhen closes down for Moon-month. I know that having more than 32Mbit is totally unnecessary...and requires updated firmware and new PEELs...but that can be fun too! 😁
OldManBaka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some better quality IC sockets and I ordered a proper Hakko desoldering gun--It's my birthday month, I've decided to spoil myself a bit! 😏--which'll arrive Tuesday, so I'll see about getting the CIC out of a donor cart as well as replacing the crappy sockets on the board and doing a less 'expedient' job of my bodge wire.

I also found a black FDD bezel in my storage room while I was searching for my old SNES mouse, so I'mma see if it fits the FDD on the SWC DX to make the unit match. Fun! 😁

(I'll also post some before pics, since I almost have my workbench cleared off now!)
ChickenNugget

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you could make a schematic of the DX dram board?
I've made one for the pre-dx models
I assume it's the one with two 4Mx4 dram chips (and couple 74xxx logic chips)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: