ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crazy Idea - Bung Multi XChanger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philjay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Crazy Idea - Bung Multi XChanger Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKCFs9OFGZA

Last day i took my Parallel Card - Game Enhancer+ - for PS1 with Unirom inside programmed.
My question is: In your opinion, is it possible to program a game enhancer + with the bios of the multi xchanger and use the parallel port of the game enhancer+ to program a v64jr and a gameboy enhancer like the old Bung product? Do any of you have the bios of the multi xchanger by any chance? From the characteristics it doesn't seem very different from another peripheral like the one I have except for the lack of the Gameboy port for programming the carts.
NorQue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken a lot of these devices had an external parallel port. And from how I understand these devices they're basically just clones of each other. I guess it's not far fetched to assume that the Bung X-Changer for the PSX isn't that different.

On their product page for the Multi X-Changer they wrote:
Quote:
ASIC
Multi Xchanger has a built-in custom made asic fully developed by Bung Enterprises Limited.

So it may not be that simple.

Can't find a download for an update anywhere on bung.com.hk backups, so it's highly likely you'll need someone to supply a dump from an original unit to verify either one or the other.

If you're looking for an alternative method to upload games to devices like the X-Changer or V64 I can highly recommend the HP t510 Thin Client, which can be bought for prices as low as 27 EUR on Ebay (at least here in Germany). It has a parallel port, a dual core 64 Bit CPU that runs modern Linux distributions and I even managed to boot FreeDOS from a USB stick. It also runs dbjh's Dosbox and Dosbox-X branches. Another more expensive thin client with real parallel port I got just this week is the Dell Wyse 5070 Extended. It also runs Linux, Windows up to Windows 10 and it works with "problematic" devices like the GDSF7 and the V64.
dbjh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pass-through changes that are in that DOSBox branch have been accepted by DOSBox-X upstream, so I do not maintain a separate DOSBox-X branch. The changes have been in the binary releases since May this year.
Could you specify exactly what Linux distro you used on that HP t510 Thin Client? I remember you had an issue with inline x86 assembly not compiling (neither __i386__ nor __x86_64__ defined), which would be strange for a regular x86_64 distro.
Getting that inline assembly to compile would greatly speed up transfers.
NorQue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Linux I'm running on the t510:
Quote:
nrq@rei:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
nrq@rei:~$ uname -a
Linux rei 5.10.0-26-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.197-1 (2023-09-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux

For the Parallel Port on the Raspberry Pi I had to run:
Code:
sed -i "/__asm\ {/,/}/d" src/libs/passthroughio/passthroughio.cpp
sed -i "/__asm__/,/);/d" src/libs/passthroughio/passthroughio.cpp
for your Megabuild and remove all the inline assembly in src/libs/passthroughio/passthroughio.cpp. But that wasn't necessary for the t510. I recently got a Supercom Partner 64 and its DOS software runs as well through Dosbox-X with your changes as it does through FreeDOS (that was the reason I dabbled with FreeDOS at all).

Good to know I can just get a regular Dosbox-X now, thanks for that!
dbjh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorQue wrote:
For the Linux I'm running on the t510:
Quote:
nrq@rei:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
nrq@rei:~$ uname -a
Linux rei 5.10.0-26-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.197-1 (2023-09-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thank you.

NorQue wrote:
For the Parallel Port on the Raspberry Pi I had to run:
Code:
sed -i "/__asm\ {/,/}/d" src/libs/passthroughio/passthroughio.cpp
sed -i "/__asm__/,/);/d" src/libs/passthroughio/passthroughio.cpp
for your Megabuild and remove all the inline assembly in src/libs/passthroughio/passthroughio.cpp. But that wasn't necessary for the t510.

My modified DOSBox Megabuild 6 version was made with the same regard for non-x86 as the original :-P But it was fortunate it runs on at least Raspberry Pi too (after making the change you mentioned). Thanks for clarifying the situation on the t510. I had misunderstood.

BTW thanks a lot for sharing those commands. I didn't know that was possible with sed.

NorQue wrote:
I recently got a Supercom Partner 64 and its DOS software runs as well through Dosbox-X with your changes as it does through FreeDOS (that was the reason I dabbled with FreeDOS at all).

That is great to hear. Mystic_Merlin had similar results when using AllowIO or giveio64 (in combination with realbase/ecpbase). On Linux it is similar as long as realbase and optionally ecpbase are used. Using realport makes DOSBox Megabuild 6 & DOSBox-X use ppdev, which is much slower. realbase is only available on x86, so on for example Raspberry Pi there is no choice other than realport.

NorQue wrote:
Good to know I can just get a regular Dosbox-X now, thanks for that!

You are welcome :-) You contributed in no small part to make that possible (pi-parport).
philjay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the advices
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: