ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final Fantasy 5 (translation) problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
botulismo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Final Fantasy 5 (translation) problems Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to use the English Final Fantasy 5 translation? Whenever I load it, the FF5 logo appears and it seems to start okay, but once I go through the credits the screen goes black and continues to play the logo screen music. It continues for several minutes and the game does not start.

I don't see it on the list of incompatible games, and I haven't found any issue with a search. I would think if it hadn't worked I wouldn't be the first to post this. Any other game I have tried has worked 100%.

Perhaps it's the version of the translation? Has anyone gotten it to work and can point me to which version they have used? Thank you.
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me with the game BIN, or send it to me. Then I'll try it. Thanks.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to change the internal header information to reflect the translation's new size. I had to for the GDSF7 to play it properly. See emulators ignore the internal header in a SNES ROM so the translation works fine there. But the GDSF7 and maybe the SuperFlash will use that header for determining game size and other things.

If you have a hex editor, open the ROM up and search for:
202020202021020B0300C3000DE0F21F

And replace that with:
202020202021020C0300C300BE3F41C0

Then put that on your Flash cart and see if it works then.
botulismo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Oh man, thank you so much! That worked great! To be honest it was the game that I had most wanted to play when I got my cartridge, and now I'm able to! Thanks again.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Keep in mind if you try other translations you may have the same problem. Final Fantasy 4's translation had that problem too. The bolded byte 0B that was changed to 0C is the ROM Size byte. 0B means 2 MegaBytes (16mbits) and 0C means 4 MegaBytes (32mbits). But it also really means "between the last increment and this one". So a game like Final Fantasy 4 or 5 being translated will fall between the nice rounded numbers so you just have to sort of round up and that is what the byte should be. Again, emulators don't care but other devices do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: