ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Several newbie questions, CIC + Pal confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Several newbie questions, CIC + Pal confusion Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a little confused with compatability.

I recently bought a used PAL SNES, it's been modded to play NTSC (U as well as J) games and has a 60hz switch for Pal games.

The current Super Flash Cart page makes it seem that the whole CIC chip issue isn't a problem anymore, as it says it works on both types of consoles. But I'm vaguely guessing what's meant is the basic function of the cart on the console, and not the rom region.

So, is it like this?:

I'll be able to play US roms just fine, without the T-connector, if I have the console switched to NTSC?

For Pal games I'll need it however? What about modifying a pal rom? Would that be easy to do?
If not, I basically have an original pal game plugged into the t-connector, and it'll allow the pal rom to run?

Furthermore, what about games like Earthbound? I hear it has a very nasty copy protection, erasing your save (granted, with the flash cart you can back it up) and also crashing. Or does the "modern" flash cart get by this?

Concerning this page and extra chips: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips

What are the ways to run these games? I'm mainly concerned about Super Mario RPG. It's expensive as hell, anything else on that list that's interesting to me is cheap and easy to get.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be 100% sure of things before buying this.

Also, stupid question maybe but: I can't make any use of the MD-PRO's programmer for the Super flash, can I? It'd certainly save me a good bit of money Laughing By switching the cartridge slot, perhaps, no idea if the programmer's compatible at all...
MottZilla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your SuperFlash must have a CIC chip installed into it. You can install either a PAL or NTSC CIC. If your modded console has been modded with a NTSC Key CIC, then you need a NTSC CIC in your SuperFlash. If you modded console disables the lockout chip instead, you need none (but I recommend getting one anyway).

As far as ROMs go, that's totally unrelated to the lockout. You can put PAL and NTSC games on the SuperFlash. Some games though need to be run in 50hz PAL mode, some need to be 60hz NTSC. So remember, ROMs don't have anything to do with the Lockout Chip. They have to do only with the PPU's mode.

Copy Protection issues shouldn't be a problem with the SuperFlash. And even if they were, all games can be patched to remove the issues.

You cannot run SNES games with enhancement chips. DSP1 games can be run I believe with the T-Connector. That's the only exception. You cannot play Super Mario RPG. You must buy a real cartridge to play it.
Galm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebay description seems a little odd, it supposedly has a switch to turn off the lockout chip - I just wonder, why a switch at all then, and just leave it deactivated? Though of course I don't know Jack about SNES modding Smile

I bought a US ActRaiser and PAL Super Mario World, I guess if both work with the switch on, I wouldn't need a CIC chip then? But eh, I guess at 5$, better safe than sorry.

Now the console just needs to be delivered ...

Anyways, thanks for the help.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If both PAL and NTSC cartridges work in your console (and you're certain they are, and haven't been modded) then that means your Console was modified to disable the lockout chip from resetting the console. This means though that certain chip games like Super Mario RPG will not run at all as they can detect the non-functioning lockout chip in the console. So if your modded console has a switch that is supposed to enable/disable the lockout chip, you'd want to reenable it to play these games like SM RPG. So if both NTSC and PAL carts play, the lockout chip is not likely enabled. Did you try switching the position of the switch to see if either would make only PAL or only NTSC carts work?
Galm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Console came today, tried it out, apparently it doesn't turn off the lockout chip, it's NTSC or PAL. Except for Super Mario World (PAL) which ran with both switches. I'm guessing the game's just generally region free, being such an early title? Starfox, Yoshi's Island and Actraiser all needed their respective region set.

Edit: Okay, odd oversight on my side. Only Actraiser (the only NTSC game) needs the correct region, yoshi's island only complained when 60hz is on. Starfox doesn't seem to mind, guess the bug distracted me Razz. Guess it turns off region completely after all. Odd, since the seller said SM RPG would work.

Shame the PAL Starfox can't handle the 60hz switch, graphics bug up. It's slow as hell T_T (not just compared to the emulated Star Fox, I'm familiar with the difference)

Good I already ordered the flash cart with CIC then... Laughing
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you have one switch which changes between 50hz/60hz? Then I would guess that the lockout chip is always disabled or atleast prevented from resetting the console. Depending how it was done it's possible and perhaps likely that SA-1 and SDD-1 chip games won't work. But the rest of the games will.

PAL Star Fox won't like 60hz because it was reprogrammed for 50hz to work properly. Thus when you change it to 60hz its programming fails to work the way it should. Atleast I'm fairly certain that would be the case.

I don't know if you needed the CIC or not, but it makes sense to have a NTSC or PAL CIC in it incase you want to play it on a non modded system.
Galm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, two switches. One for 50/60hz, one for region. Shame, "NTSC" really just seems to be a deactivated lockout. Oh well, guess I'll just buy SMRPG for the VC, then, least I'll save money. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: