ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

superflash cart with mash-mods programmer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: superflash cart with mash-mods programmer? Reply with quote

hi,

is someone working on a new software to support tototek superflash carts with the mash-mods.com USB programmer? cross support would leverage both devices Smile

cheers,
tak
tak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

It would be very cool if someone can make synergy between tototek and mash-mods flash carts Embarassed

I'm not into atmega/CPLD programming maybe someone can provide me some beginner guids?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I doubt the two products will be compatible in that way, and it isn't really going to benefit the maker of either to do so. It's probably more likely that either product might eventually get teh features from the other that you desire in the other. I'm sure part of what you want is to have a USB programmer for the SuperFlash 64M. Or to have a bigger MashMods cartridge, perhaps with multi-game support.
tak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ok I see. thanks for the details.

so in general it would be simpler to create a new tototek programmer which is using a FTDI FT245 for the parallel communication from flash software and tototel flashcart through USB port.

the cool part with FTDI FT245 (at least what I've found on my research)
    its cheap
    great documentation
    driver for 32/64bit and also out of the box in windows 7

http://hk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/FT245RL/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvlOED0T0kTWvjQTR%252bujXOX

Last edited by tak on Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure people would love to see a new USB interface for any of Tototek's flash cartridges. Alot of people are put off by the parallel port requirement. But the Parallel Port is used due to it being cheap and easy to work with I believe. If you can help in some way you could contact Tomy.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTDI chips are nice in theory but they're extremely expensive overall and for the 245 FIFO chip it'd require a large update to the CPLD state machine. The FTDI chips do have a "bit-bang" mode but overall it's far slower than the parallel port. USB is great for sending a stream of data from one intelligent device to another but it's horrible for controlling something in real time such as "dumb" logic. I think the reason for lack of flash cart upgrades, beyond the fact that the engineer who designed them left Tototek 6 or more years ago, is that the costs of research, development and implementation far outweighs the alienated userbase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: