ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Pro Fighter Q missing components

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bangerra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Super Pro Fighter Q missing components Reply with quote

Sorry to have my first post be a new topic but my questions are quite specific.

I recently acquired a Super Pro Fighter Q, and it appears to be missing some components on the board.

I'm not new to soldering stuff for easy mods and such, but I'm not very knowledgeable about how circuits work. I highlighted the 2 parts where stuff is missing. The thing on the left that I suppose is a battery? seems to be just ripped out and there's some leakage on the board. On the right side I've seen other pictures where one of the 2 IC spots is filled.

So question 1: can anyone tell me exactly what is missing here?

Question 2: The software works without power like it should, however it appears not to be receiving power by itself (the floppy does not light up/can't read disk). I'm using an official nintendo SNES power supply that is in working condition. - Is this the result of the missing components, or is there more fishy business going on here?

Question 3: Does the unit require power to use the serial port?

Thanks in advance,
bangerra

Update: I got the thing to work while supplying power through my PC, managed to copy SMW and play it just fine. So the FDD is okay, I just need to figure out a way to get the thing to draw power from an external PSU. I tried both a SNES PSU (eventhough there are mixed comments about that actually working/damaging your unit) and a MegaDrive 1 PSU which should work with the unit. I'll try and get a multimeter to see if the connections between the PSU and the FDD are okay.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I thought I had seen all the Pro Fighter boards so far but yours is a slightly different revision in the way they layed out the components.

The missing components are not very important.
U15 is a 74LS157 multiplexer, as the one above. Not sure but it could be used by the memory board. Anyway it's an easy component to source.
U16 is probably the CIC, I'm guessing you're running the unit with a cart on top?
The battery was taken off coz it was leaking but you shouldn't need to replace it as long as you save your game right after you finished playing.
Your drive issue might be related to that leak so check the traces to see they're alright; although if powering up from a PC power connector works, you should check first the 7805 and its filtering cap just below. When a bas PSU is inserted, this cap is usually the first one to blow...

No you don't need a PSU to send to the unit via PARALLEL port.
bangerra

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7805 appears to be dead as you expected. It only outputs about 0.15V with a correct input. I have no way to test the capacitator though, would you suggest replacing both, or start with the regulator and see what happens from there?

Oh and, yes it only works when a PAL cart is inserted.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, change the cap too, not worth troubleshooting.

You can put a PAL CIC in place of that U16, then it should boot up without a cart.
bangerra

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for the help! I'll update if I get it to work Smile
Pretty fun to mess around with these things.
bangerra

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay it's working! All I had to replace was the 7805 (which was a bitch to get in there btw, the board is so thick that I had a hard time getting the holes solder-free). Might look into upgrading the memory next.
Wholian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Capacitor C1, Super Pro Fighter Q Reply with quote

Hello! Could you bring me the information about the C1 capacitor of the Super Pro Fighter Q?
Thank you so much
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: