ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Original Doctor V64 problem with 3rd memory bank.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CZroe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Original Doctor V64 problem with 3rd memory bank. Reply with quote

I’m the original owner of 2 Doctor V64 units, one from 1997 and the other from 1999. I got the 1st from Carl Industries, a US distributor for Bung, and the 2nd from Lik-Sang. Both have 256mbits DRAM. My original began showing DRAM errors on the 3rd bank prompting me to buy another. The 2nd shipped with a bad slimline laptop CD-ROM which would not even turn. I salvaged the 8x Panasonic drive from my original V64 and shoved the bad V64 into the retail box (no drive).

After being hit by an EF-4 tornado this year, I can only find the bad V64 in the box, the 2nd PSU, Emulation Adapter, and port cover. I happened to have another 8x Panasonic drive in an old IBM Aptiva S pop-up/stealth drive bay unit. Works perfectly but it’s mismatched (black). I was also missing the drive power and audio cable so I bodged something together that works. Everything powers on and the drive works. Both original power supplies work fine though I had to repair one many years ago (replaced 4P miniDIN with S-Video cable).

It boots BIOS v2.03 and loads games but the self-test still shows DRAM errors on the 3rd bank (4th is fine). Both modules test fine in the 1st slot and both modules fail one bank in the 2nd slot. I checked every connection between the modules on both slots and followed the unique connections to the nearby “U2 V64” (NEC D65640). Good continuity with nothing shorted to voltage or ground. I hope U2 V64 isn’t bad, because it’s custom and would likely need to be salvaged from another V64. In the mean time, my V64 is only good for 128mbit games. Sad

I saw where a parts board sold on Etsy and U2 V64 was already missing so it seems failure-prone. Does anyone know where I can get one? Also, is there anything else I should check before I start asking around for a salvage board? Thanks!

The novelty of loading games from CD is more fun than 64Drive/ED64 so I’m already making a set of discs with only 32-128mbit games… in case it’s stuck this way forever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: