ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NES Flash Cartridge tech. exists now

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDP-13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: NES Flash Cartridge tech. exists now Reply with quote

As you all have stated in other threads, a NES / Famicom Flash cart is exactly what you all want.

The trouble is in a nutshell the NES has too many mappers.

(A Mapper is a bit of logic that allows the nes to access more memory or add additional features. There are at least 100 known)

The only way to impliment so many mappers is to use a FPGA.
(A FPGA is sort of a 'programmable chip' it can be programed to emulate nearly any discreet silicon logic...including CPUs, ROM/RAM, sub-processors, ect...)

A fellow called Kevtris has reverse engineered 99% of all NES/ Famicom mappers, including the most complex MMC5 as well as many other rare and unusual mappers.

The thread:
http://forums.cherryroms.com/viewtopic.php?t=3618

His project is actually a full NES console on a chip, and since its FPGA baised the system can be reprogrammed to be virtually any other Console.
(note: this is NOT emulation, but actual hardware that simulates a NES PERFECTLY.)

My point is, that the VHDL (the 'code' that runs the FPGA) could be altered slightly to remove the CPU and other components of the NES.
Thus leaving only the mappers which reduces the cost greatly.
(the current prototype's cost is in excess of $350 US.)

A universal NES Flash cart could then be made from a cut down FPGA-mapper core, and some Flash memory (CF/ SD / ect...).
And this card is reprogramable, if any other mappers are discovered not to work or work incorectly the cart can simply be reprogramed.
Virtually a perfect solution, the cost might be high ($~100?) but something is better than nothing right?

BUT this whole thing won't happen without some support (especially monetary!), So Tomy and friends take a look. Kevtris answers questions, but try not to flood the topic anymore than it already is. Wink
rbudrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: r Reply with quote

Yes, I already mentioned this to the boards recently in another thread. Thanks for the update. This was discussed on the digitpress.com/forum, and I brought up the idea of Tomy getting involved. I think he would be an excellent potential partner in this.

-Rob
PDP-13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, uhm keep spreading the word. Smile

(I gotta convince KH to get a better website...with a forum...)

Also consider this:

Most solid-state electronics will last 20 years. (and some tough devices have been running even longer!)

NES's and Famicoms while incredibly popular will not be around forever, even with that new '93 batch. Things wear out, break down or suffer from fatal power spikes. Shure the clone NES units are around but they arn't exactly high quality...

The Kevtendo while expensive, could become much cheaper with mass production. That $350 price would drop pretty substansially if 1000 consoles can be made. Tomy has already manufactuered similar items, mind you the flash carts are not nearly as complex or as expensive as the Kevtendo. But with an investor I belive it could be done.

Think of it, the first console BY the gamers FOR the gamers.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: f Reply with quote

Even at $350, the demand for these would certainly bring in a large # of sales. I'd buy one.
-Rob
Jagasian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have Tomy and Kevin contacted eachother yet?
rbudrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: e Reply with quote

Not sure, but I believe that Tomy mentioned in the Cherryroms forum that he couldn't make these betterthan Kevin is doing, but he wouldn't mind the chance to sell them. Nothing firm, as far as I can see.

-Rob
DjoeN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's a nes flashkit , and the price would be $300, well i'll dig up that to for it Very Happy (not that i'm rich but i have a little budget i gathered from selling console stuff (buy on second hand markets and sell on e-bay Smile )

So, if a Nes kit would be released this year i'll buy it and move the psp on my wanted list to next year or later even Very Happy

(unless a DS flashkit comes first Very Happy )

FloBo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh! An NES-flashkit would really be a great idea. There would be no problem to play Grandtheftendo on the real thing then.

Tomy: produce this thing. And also sell the NES-devtendo-system! I will buy!^^
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would still be a problem to play Gran Theftendo since Brian is making up his own MMC.
Jagasian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
It would still be a problem to play Gran Theftendo since Brian is making up his own MMC.

It is a shame, that. I would have preferred to see it done with one of the traditional highend mappers. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kevtendo could add support for Grand Theftendo... but I am starting to doubt that I will ever get my hands on a Kevtendo or Kevtris NES Flash cart.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have gotten yourself so pumped up in the first place! :D About using Brian's MMC, who really knows? He could end up making some rediculously complex device or it could just be a moreso flexible MMC3/5. If he decided to go the microcontroller route (I don't think he mentioned this, but that was Memblers' Squeedo route) that wouldn't be so feasible on Kevtris' console.
Jagasian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
You shouldn't have gotten yourself so pumped up in the first place! Very Happy

Well, I figured that he would at least want to make money off of his hard work, and therefore sell the intellectual property to somebody who would fabricate a few thousand Kevtendos. But I guess he is in it more for his own enjoyment than to make money.

Hell, at the least, he could port the IP for the more simple mappers that are used in %90 of all games, yet only require an inexpensive FPGA, and make an affordable RAM cart that loads games off of standard flash cards. That would make real good money. Sure it wouldn't be 100% compatible, but it would be far better than anything else to date... and it would be affordable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> New Product idea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: