ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WEEEEEEE GIDDY LIKE A SCHOOL GRL!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: WEEEEEEE GIDDY LIKE A SCHOOL GRL! Reply with quote

Just got my SNES flash cart a few mins ago from the postie. Took only 3 days to get from China to Canada and WITH NO CUSTOMS. Man im excited. Just flashed and it works like a charm, couldn't be happier. Going to be a secret of mana day for me.

After seeing how this works it makes me wish Star Ocean did work on this but oh well. Hopefully one day.

Just a quick question... is there a limit on the amount of times the cart can be flashed before the chip is no good as I have a feeling im going to be going nuts trying out different stuff.

Tomy again thank you for the prompt service, following directions when I placed my order and of course for having Amazing quality products that I can't get anywhere else.

One last point, this thing definately needs to be put into a cart case and it seems quite thin and fragile. Going to hit a local pawn shop today and buy the cheapest one I can find just for its case.

Very Happy
Memblers

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WEEEEEEE GIDDY LIKE A SCHOOL GRL! Reply with quote

rippin snare wrote:

Just a quick question... is there a limit on the amount of times the cart can be flashed before the chip is no good as I have a feeling im going to be going nuts trying out different stuff.

You should be able to get a good 100,000 rewrites out of it, I think. Definitely no less than 10,000. It depends on the chip in question.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks. Should be more than enough I would think.

Now I am wondering about getting a second flash cart but with no flasher as I already have one. Want to put the flasher into some sort of case too as it seems scary leaving it out in the open like that. Very thin and fragile. I mounted the card into a case today and I feel much better carrying it around now.
Jagasian

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you rewrite your cart once a day, every day, and your chips are crappy and only last 10,000 rewrites instead of 100,000, then you will start having problems rewriting the flash chips in roughly 27 years. The solution is to burn a few games at a time, play them until you complete them all, and then rewrite. Assuming you can beat a game in roughly 2 days on average, and on average you can fit 2 games on the cart at a time, that means that your flash chips will start having a problem with rewriting in 100 years!

In conclusion, the rewrite limitations on the flash chips aren't a problem as they should last a life time. You will be dead before you do 10,000 rewrites. Yes, we all die.
Memblers

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, yeah that that is quite a while. On my Squeedo cart I'll be using AMD flash with 1,000,000 cycles minimum. So I guess that'd allow 100 erases per day for 27 years, wow. It might sound like overkill, but not for a developer, heheh.
Jagasian

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memblers wrote:
Interesting, yeah that that is quite a while. On my Squeedo cart I'll be using AMD flash with 1,000,000 cycles minimum. So I guess that'd allow 100 erases per day for 27 years, wow. It might sound like overkill, but not for a developer, heheh.

Any chance you could use SRAM or FRAM instead of flash? FRAM has the added benefit that it doesn't need constant power source to keep its data, and yet it has unlimited reads and writes! It is a newer technology, so it is a little more expensive than other options and is currently lower capacity at 1Mb maximum per chip.
http://www.ramtron.com/doc/Products/Products_detail.asp?ID=66&FamID=3

Hey, maybe you can get some free or inexpensive samples? It would be interesting to see a cart that used only FRAM, and no flash or SRAM.
Memblers

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm very interested in seeing these newer types of non-volatile storage.

Needs to be 5V though. That FM1808 looks very nice, it would work on Squeedo too. It's 32kB and could very well replace the WRAM. Too bad it seems to cost 10 times as much as SRAM.

Good suggestion though. I doubt I could get a sample, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try.
Jagasian

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I forgot about the voltage difference. The problem with the FM1808 is that it actually has limited writes. The FM20L08 uses a slightly newer FRAM that has unlimited reads and writes. This stuff is all very new, so I guess it will take time for them to have a wide selection of different types of unlimited read/write FRAM. So I guess BBSRAM would allow unlimited reads/writes... as long as you replace the battery every 5 years or so.

But then again, the flash you are using is very durable. Once it dies due to over-active developing Smile a developer could just buy another Squeedo or maybe even replace the chips themselves, if you make them socketed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: