ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cherryroms gone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Cherryroms gone Reply with quote

Looks like Cherryroms is gone. There site now says "Cherryroms is nolonger maintained, something might be done about this in the future but for the timebeing it's offline." Well we still have ToToTeks forum and the Super UFO forum.
Jagasian

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been nice if CherryRoms archived the forum posts, so that they could be hosted elsewhere for their informative content.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there was aan incredible amount of info on that forum...I sure hope it's archived somewhere.

-Rob
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see anything too special about the content; this could be a really good turning point. It's time to start a more relevant board anyway :)
rbudrick

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't see anything too special about the content; this could be a really good turning point. It's time to start a more relevant board anyway Smile

That's because you know everything, heh heh. Very Happy And that's a definite compliment. Seriously, you always have the answers when it comes to copiers and other electronics questions. For us mortals, Cherryroms was like a big disorganized encyclopedia for copier info and other things.

But yeah, a new board...It would still be good to have the old ones to integrate with them.

Kyuusaku, have you ever considered doing a book or a website on copiers? I think it could be really awesome.

-Rob
Jagasian

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always said that I would love a book on the grey market of console gaming, which was centered around classic copiers, i.e. 8-bit to 16-bit generation copiers. There are so many classic gaming and gaming history books out there, but nothing that covers in detail the grey market stuff.

It would be tough to put a good comprehensive book together, as one would need access to a large collection of copiers, for taking detailed pictures of them, their insides, packaging, and screenshots of their menus, etc. They'd also have to know key participants in the copier scene from back in the day, i.e., have connections with people from major copier companies, ROM release groups, etc.

The book should be a combination of a pictorial museum, a technical reference, user's guide, repair guide, and a historical account of the grey market from those who made copiers, those who "released" ROMs, etc.

If it doesn't get written up soon, most of the good info will be forgotten.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, there's not enough information really for a book, besides I think the information should be free (well, some of it ^^;) as to debunk stupid misconceptions people have regarding copiers, particularly the older ones.

I'd be happy to write high level tech documentation, explain simple fixes and how the devices work in a webpage but I plan to already contribute a little of that to Thall's site. I don't have time to maintain my own site, although I do seem to spend a lot of time messageboarding..

Anywho, I'm definately not interested in documenting anything related to the old Western scene, not only do I not know much about the players, the more I do read the less I care. Apart from the cool ANSI BBS doors and trainers, it was a load of BS. Not surprisingly, just like the console scene of today, it had small minority of talented participents and an overwhelming majority of idiots, who know just enough to be dangerous. I think the old scene was perfectly encaptured in Schweino's archives, he gave us the glamour and spared us the drama (and years of phone bills.)

Regarding companies, unfortunately it's *really* hard to get in contact with (ex)employees, to do so would probably require professional help which means big $$$. Also many don't seem to care to be contacted. You have to remember, for many of them, it was just a shady job. Copiers were their easy income, not the dreamy miracle box like they are for most of us :)

Anyways, so long Cherryroms. Now to find a home for the new new Red #9. I don't think it's fair to take over Tototek's board, I think people are pushing it as is trying to hawk their own crap. Same goes for Super UFO, although every time I visit the UFO board I cringe. Any of you guys care to start a phpBB2? I haven't touched web development since HTML 4 nor do I have any hosting but I would like to see another public, capable, board sprout up and may study up to do it if necessary.

If anyone wants to contact me *cough* vcdfan, feel free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: