ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctor SF7 - whats the diff between versions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phystarstk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Doctor SF7 - whats the diff between versions Reply with quote

I was just wondering what the difference between the difference Doctor SF's are. Also, what else do I need to buy to get one working? Do I need to buy a parallel cable and a USB cable? Or is the floppy drive the only way to transfer files? Are the DSP adapters coming back in stock?
Axeslinger666

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The doctors are basically the same, but the size of their internal memories differ. If you plan on backing up multiple games, try to get one with more memory. To get one working, you only need the doctor, a 9v power supply (not included on this site) and a floppy drive on your computer if you want to make or modify games. You can get a parallel cable (male to male) if you want a direct connection to your computer and use thwe TSF3 program.

Note: You only need a super nintendo and the doctor to back up your cartridges.

Hope this helps you out!

-Brandt (Axeslinger666)
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some notes about the different choices you have. About Memory measured in MegaBits. 32 MegaBit is large enough for any game that was released in USA and Europe I believe. There are japanese games which were larger however. If you have no intention of playing those games, 32M is fine for you. There are some good RPGs like Tales of Phantasia I believe as well as a special hacked Star Ocean which require more than 32M. For those you need the GDSF7 with enough memory. Star Ocean hacked takes 96M. Thats the largest you can get I believe.

Other than MegaBits you should consider the parallel port. The GDSF3 doesn't have one. There was a special cartridge which you'll have a really hard time finding and spend alot of money getting. The SF6 and SF7 have a built in port. The port lets you connect a PC or the rare CD-ROM drives to your Game Doctor. These are nicer ways of loading games and faster than using Floppies. Ideally I'd say get a SF6 or SF7 and use an old laptop if you have one to send ROMs through a parallel port cable. It's just as good if not better than the CD-ROM drive.

So you have to decide, do you want though japanese games that are bigger than 32M? If yes, get GDSF7 with as much memory as you need. If no, get a GDSF6 or GDSF3. If you can't stand floppies or want the parallel port, get GDSF6. I have a GDSF3 with a giant caddy of floppies and while loading games that are multipule disks is annoying I don't mind that much. Plus its relatively cheap to get a GDSF3.
Phystarstk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks, I appreciate the assistance.

I'm leaning towards a SF Doctor 7, but I'm wondering if I want a lot of memory (star ocean) or less memory (for all the other games I want to play translated). Basically, I'd be paying like 35 more bucks for Star Ocean.. and I can't help but wonder if its worth it.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only you can decide that. Star Ocean is a great RPG. If it's worth the cost of extra memory in your mind, and you can afford it, then go for it. Otherwise, something like 48Mbits or more should fit every other game available.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The different Game Doctors also have varying levels of de-protect features (Natively). Depending on your needs, even going with a cheaper Doctor is just fine (Not including games over 32Mbits of course)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: