ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NES games on the SNES cart ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rofl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: NES games on the SNES cart ? Reply with quote

does somebody know a software or emulator, that can convert NES games in SNES format so they are playable with the super flash ?

there is a bunch of such software for the GBA, i.e. SNESadvance
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer: not possible.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because the systems use very similar processors doesn't mean the systems' architectures are the same. Conversions can be done, but it takes a lot of reprogramming. It would be a total pain to do. I would say that at least a majority of every line of code of every game would need to be reprogrammed to address the SNES correctly.

-Rob
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there are those scene conversions (AS) ROMs, but they don't have sound. Memblers of NESdev released a NSF player for SNES. Too bad SNES isn't fast enough to emulate NES (perhaps it is with SFX2 or SA-1 :)
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose non of the"scene conversions" are really any good, outside of being a flashy Intro / Demo for whichever group produced it?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the games work well as far as I remember. None make very impressive ports however, the games are all early titles which take little advantage of the NES.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Too bad SNES isn't fast enough to emulate NES (perhaps it is with SFX2 or SA-1 Smile

Hmm, never thought of that. Mapper emulation would be interesting with these processors. Certianly more plausible than without. I wonder why no one's tried it. Can't the SNES support up to 4 of these processors on one cart?

-Rob
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of. For full compatibility, the emulator would need a pixel-based renderer like modern PC NES emulators, which means ~8mhz. Maybe if the SNES did controllers/sound while the overclocked (:P) SA-1 did CPU & PPU would it be possible. The SA-1 would need to be overclocked another 10-20mhz.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read in this book (which is AWESOME, btw),

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0744004241/sr=1-1/qid=1154448858/ref=sr_1_1/104-4546061-4695110?ie=UTF8&s=books

that up to 4 of the last add-on processor made for the SNES cvould be used (interviews with the designers, etc.), though, iirc, only 2 max were ever put in a cart. I also understand, you have to be a damn good programmer to make all 4 work together. With that in mind, if you could overclock them all, I think it would be extremely interesting what the SNES could do...especially interms of emulation.

-Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: