ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with Game Doctor SF3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madsjm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Problem with Game Doctor SF3 Reply with quote

I bought a Super Famicom and a Game Doctor SF3 from a shop in Hong Kong about a year ago. It included an AC/DC adapter with two connectors, output: DC 10-12V 2000 mA - 50/60Hz negative center, and a floppy disk.
I tested it in the shop, and it all worked.

However, when I returned home, it didn't seem to work anymore. The power led of the console lit, but no response from the Game Doctor. 2 times (out of maybe 50), the floppy drive started clicking (like on an Amiga, searching for a floppy disk?), but I got no output on the tv.
I tested the Game Doctor on a normal European PAL SNES, but of course it didn't work there either, and European game carts didn't work on the Super Famicom.

On my most recent trip to Hong Kong, I decided to buy one more Game Doctor SF3 and a game (Super Mario World) to check whether the problem was my Super Famicom or the Game Doctor.
After some cleaning with alcohol, Super Mario World works great every time. However, neither the old nor the new Game Doctor works.
I have tried using one more AC/DC adapter, 9V DC 500 mA negative center. I'm using that for the Super Famicom, and it works great, but even though I dedicate the aforementioned adapter to the Game Doctor, nothing happens.

I have tried both Game Doctors with all combinations of the two adapters, but no luck. I have tried holding R on the controller while booting, but no matter what I do, all I get is a black screen.
The only sign of life I have gotten from the Game Doctor is the clicking from the floppy drive, which I got again today. But still no output to screen.
I tried to "wiggle" the connector a bit, and I got some blocky patterns, but nothing readable or resembling graphics.

I can see that the Game Doctor SF3 has a wider connector than the Mario game cart. Could it be that the wider area of the Super Famicom's connector is dirty or damaged?

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any tips would be highly appreciated. Smile
shadowkn55

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the voltage rating on the power supply. It needs to match the voltage rating in your country. What is most likely happening is that the power supply needs 240v and the wall is only providing 120v (usa). I'm using a universal power supply (the one that has plugs for snes and genesis) and it works fine.
madsjm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip, but I'm pretty sure that the voltage is ok. The power supply needs 220-240V, and as I'm located in Norway, my wall is providing just that.
We have the same voltage as Hong Kong, so I'm pretty sure that's not the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: