ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Metroid and Mario All-Stars on Game Doctor SF3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Super Metroid and Mario All-Stars on Game Doctor SF3 Reply with quote

Is this game playable on a Game Doctor SF III? I have 32mb of ram but all I get is a screen saying I can't play a backup version of it in english and japanese. Any help would be appreciated.

I'll add Super Mario All-Stars to this list a well as I get the same kind of error.
madman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need a crack.
Smack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh ha. Now I see that I need to crack it via ucon. thanks.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need a crack? These games have SRAM protection, just converting with uCON64 should work.
madman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what ucon is capable of, I just remember back in the scene days when these 2 games were released that cracks were required. Super Mario All Stars came out right around when I got my first SWC and at that time IPS cracks were required.
Smack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both those games posted a screen that said "It is illegal to play copied games on your SNES" yada yada and it just stalled there. Using ucon there is a crack option that you can use once you convert your game to the GD3 format, it finds copy protection patterns and patches them. This completely solved my problem.

Now I just wish I had an SF 7 and CD-Rom drive so it didn't have to load 4 disk games Shocked
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't necessary, uCON64 should detect the correct SRAM size and properly limit it in the header. The only time you'll need a crack with a GDSFIII+ is if you want to play a 50/60hz game outside of your region and you don't have a switch.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have a GDSF3 and you DO have to crack the roms. If you just convert a game like DKC of Super Metroid, it will give you the copy protection screen. You must use UCON64 with -k to crack the protection on it. However I believe the GDSF7 (maybe SF6) doesn't have problems with this and don't need cracking.

Smack, when you convert your games, just get used to before you convert them, use -k and -l (thats a lowercase L) on them to crack and slowrom fix them. The GDSF3 leaves something to be desired and lacks the parallel port which indeed makes 32MBit games really fun to load.

Really the copier is solid, it just could be better. For an example of needing a slowrom fix try out MegaMan 7 I believe it is. Press start and the subscreen doesn't work the way it should. Unless you want the luxurys a betetr unit would offer the GDSF3 will serve you well. If you want more, buy a GDSF7. I might do that myself at some point. You might too when you see that large stack or caddy full of disks, many of them sets of 4 disks for a single game. Wink

It's possible they've since updated UCon64 and somehow by writing a better Game Doctor header it passes SRAM protection, but I kind of doubt that.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected, either uCON64 has broken SRAM limiting for SFIII or SRAM limiting was added to the SFIII header in SFVI. (I tested both SFIII BIOS.)

Motzilla, have you backed up your own Mario Allstars, Super Metroid or Donkey Kong Country? I don't have any protected games to test.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have all 3 games you mentioned plus Killer Instinct. What did you want me to test exactly? I'm pretty sure all of those games simply won't run when I back them up to the DRAM unless you use the gold finger patch function to remove the protection routines. I think Uniracers has protection (maybe sram) too, and I has the code written on the disk label.

Edit Test 1: Tested Super Mario All-stars. Strangely it detects it as a 24Mbit game (its 16mbit according to every rom dump I've seen). When I try to run it after backing up to the DRAM, I get a black screen, nothing ever happens. The game however runs just fine through the Card Slot on the GDSF3 via the Run Card option.

Edit Test 2: Tested Killer Instinct. Runs from card slot fine. From DRAM (I think it was running from DRAM) with the cartridge in the slot it seemed to be fine. I took out the cart and it was having graphical glitches. Also the game was incorrectly detected as 24M too strangely.

Edit Test 3: Tested DKC. Runs from Card Slot fine. Once again though, a 32M game detected as 24M, big surprise, didn't work from DRAM. I'm going to try having it backup older or atleast small games. Probably Super Metroid since that actually is 24M.

Edit Test 4: Tested Super Metroid. At first I was having some issues, I decided to clean the cartridge contacts and it was able to backup and run from the card slot ok afterwards. However the game will not run when backed up to DRAM, black screen after the Nintendo logo. No Copy Protection notice or anything.

Edit Test 5: Super Mario World. At first, it thought the game was 0M and would read garbage. I cleaned the contacts on the cartridge, its detected properly at 4M and reads and plays back fine from DRAM.

I'm starting to think maybe I'm having FastROM problems with the newer games maybe? Maybe that's why I don't see the copy protection screen, perhaps it crashing from the RAM being too slow or something? But Super Mario All-stars is slowrom, so I'm lost. Why aren't DKC, KI, SMA, and SM not backing up correctly? Esspecially with the strange ROM sizes.

Edit Test 6: Killer Instinct, I cleaned the Cartridge off, copied to DRAM, (it still said it was 24M) but this time I got the following message.

"THIS PRODUCT WILL NOT OPERATE WHEN CONNECTED TO A DEVICE WHICH MAKES UNAUTHORIZED COPIES. PLEASE REFER TO YOUR INSTRUCTION BOOKLET FOR FURTHER INFORMATION."

I'm still wondering why the game is detected and dumped as 24M. The game is most definitely 32M.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like the headers for the games (except Mario, I have that), but it sounds like your SFIII is semi-broken, I have no problems backing up HiRom games.

I'll (re)buy these games pretty soon. I think the games should backup fine and either run perfectly or give you crap about copying. If they run perfectly, it means Bung changed the SRAM bits in the header, if they give you crap it's because the SFIII isn't capable of limiting.

When you run a cart from the slot, the SFIII essentially becomes a passthrough adapter so any game should run perfectly as long as it doesn't interfere with the SFIII's BIOS before you select run.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm definitely having some issues. The floppy drive isn't working. Not sure why. I'll have to mess around with it I suppose. Perhaps even having to replace the drive in it.

Edit: Yup, Drive is dead. Unfortunately I don't have a Floppy Drive that will fit. The only spare i have doesn't have the power and data in the right spots. =( But the unit itself works, I used it case open with another disk drive and it ran ok. Guess I'll have to find a replacement drive for it. Still not sure when 32M games were detected as 24M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: