ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CD-ROM Flashcard?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: CD-ROM Flashcard? Reply with quote

Hi. First of all, I own some the Tototek’s flashcards and they are a real treat for the game enthusiast; my congratulations and gratitude. (I still eagerly wait for Wonderswan, Neo-Geo Pocket, Nintendo64, and a GOOD GameBoy/GameBoy Color one)!

This might be a stupid or improbable idea, but I don't lose anything suggesting it.

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but the lens in a CD-ROM based console sends requested data to the console's RAM (after reading the initial copy protection, region...), right?

My question/suggestion is: is it possible to make a component that attaches to the CD-ROM's BUS in a console such as the PlayStation or Saturn that can read a CD image from another storage device (such as an SD-Card)? Some mechanism that replaces the original lens that will interpret the addresses requested, look for them in other media, and send the information back to the console?

If that were possible, one wouldn't need compatible CDs to make backups (at compatible speeds), just copy them into some media device. It would also make the console live a much longer time, since the mechanical components wear very much; possibly even REVIVE some equipment which has nothing but the lens/CD-ROM mechanism damaged. Also, loading times would maybe be shorter, and the media would be much more reliable.

In addition, the Dreamcast, which to my knowledge has no way to play perfect backups of games since GD-ROMs are not easy to produce, might have a chance to play complete games.

I had the crazy idea that it could be possible with media like SD-Cards, because the loading time on such consoles is "much more forgiving" than on cartridge based ones, like the Super Famicom.

I am a video game collector, and I never liked the idea of having a (much faster) perishable mechanical component on a console. The only ones that ever died on me out of my 50-something collection all just have faulty CD mechanisms. Replacements are expensive, and I personally find it ridiculous that you end up with some perfectly expensive hardware that just went blind and can’t read your games, but works fine other than that.

Well, I would definitely buy such a thing, if it could be constructed.

Keep up the good work!
rbudrick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of attaching to the optical drive's bus is a nice one, but every drive is so different. In order to make it universal, it would have to read through the lens. I've thought of such an imaginary device before, but no one has invented any kind of optical device that can change its consistency to match the flash and send to the laser on the fly. The closest thing is a CD-R (or DVD-R, or whatever). It'd be cool, but the production of what I explain would probably cost millions to develop.

Unfortunately, reading through the bus is going to be problematic. Maybe not impossible on a system to system basis, but it would be incredibly more complex than designing a flash card.

-Rob
Yuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millions to develop...

But one thing: it is still theoretically possible, isn't it?

In the meantime how about N64, Wonderswan, or NeoGeo Pocket?

Thanks for the reply.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuan wrote:
Millions to develop...

But one thing: it is still theoretically possible, isn't it?

In the meantime how about N64, Wonderswan, or NeoGeo Pocket?

Thanks for the reply.

I would say it's theoretically possible to use the optical drive's bus access to feed data to the system with proper optical drive emulation. And, like I said, there would be varying degrees of difficulty depending on the complexity of the given system. The "millions" statement only referred to inventing a universal flash device that could feed data directly to the laser...that's proably way beyond today's current technology other than blank discs.

As for N64, Wonderswan, and NGP, flash carts for those are certainly possible, but demand is rather low. It's way less complex thanoptical drive emulation. N64 is certainly more popular, but iirc correctly, there are some technical roadblocks to building a N64 cart (different chips, maybe? Memory is fuzzy).

-Rob
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the same thing people are doing with the PS2? Ok, perhaps not exactly the same since they may simply be reprogramming the bios to access a HD instead, rather than going through the CD-ROM Subsystem, but I guess the net-effect is the same.
madman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are flashcarts for the NGPC and Wonderswan, but talking about emulating a ROM chip via a flash chip (essentially the same thing) and talking about emulating a CD-ROM via a flash chip are completely different things. The closest thing to a flashcart for the N64 today is the V64jr. I heard Neo Flash is supposed to be coming out w/an N64 flash cart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> New Product idea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: