ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SNES Copiers and Sram batteries!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: SNES Copiers and Sram batteries! Reply with quote

Which copiers for the SNES use battery backup for SRAM and which use internal AC power? I assume GD7's uses AC, while others like UFO's, Supercom Partner's, Pro-Fig, etc use batteries? A short list would be handy.

Leading into another question... For copiers that have batteries, but won't be in use for extended periods of time (Storage), should you open them and clip the battery out before it leaks, or does leaking usually happen in only special cases?

EDIT: Also, I assume removing the battery doesn't effect copiers functional wise, unless you forget to save to floppy before you remove AC power? Will self-test for SRAM fail perhaps as the only side effect?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Bung use the power supply for power.
All FFE use a cell ("battery") when the console is not powered on.
Early CCL are like FFE.
Later CCL are like Bung (but have a big capacitor to retain memory for a short time after being unplugged)
AFAIK all UFO and Supercom and Sane Ting are like FFE. I'm not sure about all Gamars but I think most Taiwanese just use cells.

I think leaking will happen eventually with all batteries that are allowed to fully discharge. I would desolder the battery and keep it in storage or replace it with a coin cell socket.

Removing the battery does affect many copiers functionally because they don't use the optional power supply at all for power, they draw current either from the battery or console (just like a real cart). The copiers will all pass self tests but if there's no battery and the console is powered off, the RAM contents will go.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your last paragraph confused me a bit. As I understand it, copiers ether draw power from the console or an external power supply (AC). The battery just keeps SRAM alive when no power source can be found.

But from reading your last paragraph, it sounds like your saying the batteries play more important roles than what I just mentioned?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copiers draw from either console or supply, but the SRAM's power is isolated from the main power circuit since the cell should never power anything but the SRAM. I haven't fully checked the circuits in any copiers but I believe from just looking at them, copiers ripped the circuit straight off game carts which switch between two sources, cell and console. Making the SRAM switch between three sources would be more difficult unless you put the console and power supply in parallel which could be dangerous.

Now that I think about it, I can't think of any optional PSU copiers, most copiers require the PSU at least for the floppy or don't need a PSU at all. If copiers were to switch between the console and power supply for the floppy, you'd need a really big transistor + heatsink which I don't think any copiers have.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
All Bung use the power supply for power.
All FFE use a cell ("battery") when the console is not powered on.
Early CCL are like FFE.
Later CCL are like Bung (but have a big capacitor to retain memory for a short time after being unplugged)
AFAIK all UFO and Supercom and Sane Ting are like FFE. I'm not sure about all Gamars but I think most Taiwanese just use cells.

I think leaking will happen eventually with all batteries that are allowed to fully discharge. I would desolder the battery and keep it in storage or replace it with a coin cell socket.

Removing the battery does affect many copiers functionally because they don't use the optional power supply at all for power, they draw current either from the battery or console (just like a real cart). The copiers will all pass self tests but if there's no battery and the console is powered off, the RAM contents will go.

I just opened my SWC DX from storage and much like my new SMD copier the sram battery is leaking. The strange part is that it's working perfectly. Is it possible for the battery to be leaking and still function correctly? I assume the battery keeps the sram in memory after the copier is powered off and even removed from the cart slot. I also ran the self-diagnosis and it shows as "OK"

Do you have info on swapping in a battery that won't leak. By "coin cell" do you mean a lithium battery like PCs use for BIOS settings?
Any info would be great.

Thanks (again)

madman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Kyuusaku answered the battery question in one of your other SMD threads. I've seen leaky batteries still work fine.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
I think Kyuusaku answered the battery question in one of your other SMD threads. I've seen leaky batteries still work fine.

He gave me the link for a replacement NiCD
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=126720&pa=126720PS

but I assume this would leak over time as these have. I would like to go with a more permanent and safe option if I'm going to bother switching these out.

madman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much every battery will leak over time. The easiest thing would be to install a socket so future battery swaps are less painful. But it'd probably be 10 more years until you'd need to change it again.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery I linked is definitely good enough if you backup your save after playing, it probably wouldn't be good for prolonged save retention though. If you worry about ever replacing the battery, just solder in a coin cell holder and get some common CR2032; they'll last a long time and can be changed without soldering.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
The battery I linked is definitely good enough if you backup your save after playing, it probably wouldn't be good for prolonged save retention though. If you worry about ever replacing the battery, just solder in a coin cell holder and get some common CR2032; they'll last a long time and can be changed without soldering.

Have you done this before?
Which one of these would be the best for a copier
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchResultView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&searchType=k&searchValue=cr2032&categoryId=470505&rscount=4

Why didn't FFE use these to begin with? I believe they are the same batteries used in NES carts and seem to be pretty cheap. I guess not as cheap as the NiCD though, eh? Razz If you can let me know which one would be best for soldering I'll probably order a couple for my SMD and SWC.

Thanks,
Matt

kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I've never done it before, but they'll work fine.

I can't recommend a particular type of holder, probably any will be fine though. You probably want to measure the width between the holes of the old NiCD and make sure it will fit around the other parts. If you have to, you can always install it on the solder side of the board.

Who knows why FFE decided on NiCD. I've never seen a coin cell leak and we all know that they're able to retain SRAM contents for over 10 years. If they wanted something really cheap they could have glued in a 2xAA pack but those would surely start leaking in a year or two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: