ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dumping original carts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Dumping original carts Reply with quote

Just a quick question: should I be able to put an original Megadrive cart onto my MD-PRO and dump its contents to a file?

I'm having trouble getting my MD-PRO to recognise the flash cart, and I'm trying to narrow it down to whether it's the flash cart, the writer or the PC that's the problem. To eliminate the flash cart, I've tried reading the contents of an original Megadrive cart, but all I get is a file full of 0xff hex. Should this work, or is this normal behaviour?
dbjh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dumping original carts Reply with quote

jamess wrote:
Just a quick question: should I be able to put an original Megadrive cart onto my MD-PRO and dump its contents to a file?

AFAIK no, you cannot dump original cartridges with the MD-PRO.

jamess wrote:
I'm having trouble getting my MD-PRO to recognise the flash cart, and I'm trying to narrow it down to whether it's the flash cart, the writer or the PC that's the problem. To eliminate the flash cart, I've tried reading the contents of an original Megadrive cart, but all I get is a file full of 0xff hex. Should this work, or is this normal behaviour?

I *guess* it's normal. Judging from other people's reports I would suggest to try another PC. However, you clearly are able to use ToToTEK's software. Doesn't it report a problem when you "dump" the original cartridge?
timofonic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be that he need change the parallel mode from his PC on the bios... (another shits of pc that only are problems...)
Arakon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flashing connector is a straight parallel adapter, there's no hardware there at all that would allow for dumping.. the flash controller etc is all on the cart itself. there's no way to dump an original cart through it.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: s Reply with quote

Quote:
the flashing connector is a straight parallel adapter, there's no hardware there at all that would allow for dumping.. the flash controller etc is all on the cart itself. there's no way to dump an original cart through it.

So it can't be done through software, huh? What special hardware would hypothetically ned to be added to make something like this happen?

-Rob
vanadium

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built the cable from here the other night:

http://www.retrodev.com/transfer.html

And here are my results:

http://www.op9.net/hidden/scdtranscable

Worked out pretty well if you need a very, very cheap and reliable dumping mechanism. Check out those images in the last link in order and read the file names to get an idea of how it was done. I couldn't be arsed to build a mini-site for it yet.
timofonic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not modify these thing for connect to MDPRO instead to a PC, and then no need the PC? Smile
Sanada

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That method of dumping carts through the Sega console itself seems like a good idea. I just picked up a broken Mega CD and repaired it so I'll give it a try.

As of now, I've used a home-brew dumper to copy my carts. It may be the best option if you do not have a Sega/Mega CD.

Go here for plans:

http://www.emulationzone.org/projects/cyan/docs/index.htm#romcopier

Hope you find it usefull.
Xperience

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site ur pics r on is giving me a 404.Could u provide some kind of pics on how to make this i cant re4ally follow a pinout and do you need a SegaCD for this?
Oerg

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need a Sega CD to do this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: