ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game Doctor SF7 Power Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LocalToast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Game Doctor SF7 Power Question Reply with quote

So I recently bought my SF7, but as expected it did not come with a power supply. I went to Radioshack today to try to get one, but the guy at the desk couldn't find one that works. Shocked

Could anybody with experience give me some info on the power supply I need to get? I heard a regular US Genesis power supply will work. If anyone can give me specifics on the type of power supply I need, or if you know of a commercial one (Genesis, etc) that will work, please let me know. (This was my only birthday present, so I have to make it count xP)

Thanks a lot,

LocalToast
Vlcice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Genesis 1 supply definitely works; that's what I use. I believe the Genesis 2 used a different power supply which may be incompatible.

According to the bottom of the unit, it takes from 9-12V at 850mA to 1.5A; it's quite tolerant. I'm not entirely sure of the size, but you shouldn't have much trouble finding something that fits. My Genesis 1 power adapter, for reference, is 9V 1.2A.

(And just a note from what I've seen elsewhere - be careful not to use an NES power supply. Those are definitely incompatible and can damage the SF7.)
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really can't find it from your country, please email me.
LocalToast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlcice wrote:
A Genesis 1 supply definitely works; that's what I use. I believe the Genesis 2 used a different power supply which may be incompatible.

According to the bottom of the unit, it takes from 9-12V at 850mA to 1.5A; it's quite tolerant. I'm not entirely sure of the size, but you shouldn't have much trouble finding something that fits. My Genesis 1 power adapter, for reference, is 9V 1.2A.

(And just a note from what I've seen elsewhere - be careful not to use an NES power supply. Those are definitely incompatible and can damage the SF7.)

I'm going to ask my neighbor if I can test his Genesis power cable out today. I'm guessing it will work, so I'll order one online if it does.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figure it out? Just a note, you should make certain you have the Polarity of the Tip correct.

The Genesis 1 PSU that most people use is 9VDC, 1.2A, Center Negative. The Genesis 2 PSU I think might actually be center positive so you need to avoid that one. I know for a fact the Sega 32X is center positive tip.
LocalToast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
Figure it out? Just a note, you should make certain you have the Polarity of the Tip correct.

The Genesis 1 PSU that most people use is 9VDC, 1.2A, Center Negative. The Genesis 2 PSU I think might actually be center positive so you need to avoid that one. I know for a fact the Sega 32X is center positive tip.

It's been a while since I tried his power cable. It turns out he has the 2nd generation model. The power cord doesn't fit properly anyway. I asked my other friend that has a Genesis, and he had a different model of the 2nd generation, so that didn't work either.

I found a Genesis 1 cord for about $7. I'm not really rushed to buy it though.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you can get Genesis 1 Power Supplys for cheap you should. They are nice PSUs as 9vdc is very common and it supplys it at 1.2A which is nice. It's a useful PSU to have.

I just started playing with my GDSF7 again today. Well I had been playing with it before, but I got the PC Link working again today and programmed my own frontend for sending ROMs. It's quite nice as I just have to select the zipped ROM on my PC like I would an emulator, and then my program takes care of extraction, conversion, and uploading.

In otherwords I'd encourage you to be in a hurry to get enjoying some SNES goodness. =)
LocalToast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
Well if you can get Genesis 1 Power Supplys for cheap you should. They are nice PSUs as 9vdc is very common and it supplys it at 1.2A which is nice. It's a useful PSU to have.

I just started playing with my GDSF7 again today. Well I had been playing with it before, but I got the PC Link working again today and programmed my own frontend for sending ROMs. It's quite nice as I just have to select the zipped ROM on my PC like I would an emulator, and then my program takes care of extraction, conversion, and uploading.

In otherwords I'd encourage you to be in a hurry to get enjoying some SNES goodness. =)

I just ordered one yesterday with Priority shipping, should be here in a day or 2.

How well does your program work? It sounds a lot easier to use than Ucon64 (I think that's what most people use). If possible could you send it to me?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I could send you my front end program. It uses ucon64 (as it is a front end for it). The problem with ucon64 is you must use the command line and type a couple commands as well as extracting your zipped rom. That's basically what the program does, extracts for you and does the ucon64 commands to send the ROM.

Before bothering with my program though, you need to make sure that the file transfer will work. So it's best to try it manually with ucon64 to ensure it will work first. Because of the way my program executes, if there was an error sending the file it wouldn't stay on your screen long enough to read.

But once you know it works, then the program is very handy.
LocalToast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
Yes I could send you my front end program. It uses ucon64 (as it is a front end for it). The problem with ucon64 is you must use the command line and type a couple commands as well as extracting your zipped rom. That's basically what the program does, extracts for you and does the ucon64 commands to send the ROM.

Before bothering with my program though, you need to make sure that the file transfer will work. So it's best to try it manually with ucon64 to ensure it will work first. Because of the way my program executes, if there was an error sending the file it wouldn't stay on your screen long enough to read.

But once you know it works, then the program is very handy.

Oh, sure. I haven't got my power cable yet (should be here tomorrow or the next day), but when I do I'll give ucon64 a spin.
LocalToast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my power cable today! It powers on and everything, but I just realized that I only have a parallel port extension cable... So until I buy a 2-way one, I won't be enjoying SNES games for a while... Neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: