ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dreamcast interface for conect an external hard drive?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxxfarras

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: dreamcast interface for conect an external hard drive? Reply with quote

Could be very cool to have an interface-device such that let you to use an external hard drive for the sega dreamcast and let you to play backups running from the harddrive to the "original" sega dreamcast circuit hardware. Could it be possible?

Especially because dreamcast lasers die after some time. In fact could be cool to have it for any retro console which is cd based. Could it be technically possible? or viable/practical from a economic viewpoint?

Thanks
Sorry for my english.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's possible. And it's a good idea too. I personally would like to see similar products produced for all Disc based systems, some sort of device that would plug into the original CDROM controller and allow you to use ISOs as if they were real discs. It might be a viable device to create as I don't think it would involve any really costly parts, but as with any idea it required much time, effort, and money for Research and Development. I certainly hope products like what you describe eventually come out for all our favorite retro systems.
conceitedjerk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a couple of attempts at an IDE interface for the DC. One such animal can be found here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070127184121/http://www.syncscroller.net/dc/dc-ide.html

There may be a couple of more in various stages of development, but honestly I haven't really been paying attention these last few years.
maxxfarras

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thans for the info guys.
Very interesting, I had no idea that such item as an IDE interface For the DC was in development, I will still searching, maybe more info can be found it in the net.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dreamcast's expansion bus is similar to PCI, and that's what that IDE interface (and other homebrew DC hardware) is developed for. There's a big difference between that and a GDROM emulator; running games from another source would require significant exploitative code. If someone were to invest their time in that (assuming it's possible), there is already the broadband adapter which could function as a disc host.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
The Dreamcast's expansion bus is similar to PCI, and that's what that IDE interface (and other homebrew DC hardware) is developed for. There's a big difference between that and a GDROM emulator; running games from another source would require significant exploitative code. If someone were to invest their time in that (assuming it's possible), there is already the broadband adapter which could function as a disc host.

Reminds me of the PSO Gamecube/BBA hack. I remember back in the day, some company or group was going to release a dreamcast peripheral that housed images on a hard drive. I bet they got a cease order, or it was all a fake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> New Product idea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: