ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burnt Programmer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Armathrillo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Burnt Programmer Reply with quote

I have a V2 of the Super Flasher, and has been working beautifully for years. However, just recently, a trace on the circuit board connecting the USB power lead to the power switch caught fire, unexpectedly. I tried re-soldering the points with a small bit of wire, but unsuprisingly, the unit no longer functions.

My parallel port and USB ports are fine; they all still work with anything I plug into them. I know the programmer hardware has seen a few revisions, but has this happened to anyone before? Any recommendations on individual components to try replacing before I bite the bullet and purchase a new programmer?

Burnt Programmer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.45 KB
 Viewed:  6038 Time(s)

Burnt Programmer.jpg

MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that's the only trace that was damaged? Also, how did it catch fire?
Armathrillo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested all the traces on the other side of the board, and everything seems to be intact. There aren't any visual hints at damage anywhere else, either.

As for why, I really can't say. I kept the programmer on a plastic tray, which didn't have any debris in or around it, with four little rubber feet separating the tray and the board. I had the programmer attached to my computer (both parallel and usb) at the time, and the unit was switched off. I tested the USB cable and USB port with an old scanner, and it worked. I also tested the parallel cable and port with a printer; no problems there, either.

My first thought was that the programmer's on/off switch had somehow gotten lodged in a position that was grounding the 5v feed, causing the trace to act like circuit breaker, but when hooked up to a tester, I couldn't recreate a scenario like that. Also, the wire I added to replace the trace doesn't get warm to the touch when I try to use the programmer, no matter what switch position I'm in.

Strange, eh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: