ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ufo Super Drive Pro 6 hyper version power adapter?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sp33dFr34k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Ufo Super Drive Pro 6 hyper version power adapter? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I recently bought a copy box as stated in the title, but there came no power adapter with it. Does anyone know which adapter I should buy in order to get this thing working? I googled a lot, but didn't find anything. In fact, I found this forum during my quest instead Smile

Thanks in advance!
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine the Sega Genesis model 1 power adapter will work and work best. Most copiers will say what power they need and the Sega Genesis model 1 outputs 9 volt DC at 1.2amps. This is great for powering all sorts of things, copiers too. According to the Tototek store listing the UFO will work with the Sega Genesis model 1 power adapter. So get that.
Sp33dFr34k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply MottZilla!

I own a Megadrive model 1, which comes with an AC adapter that outputs 10v AC at 1.2 amps. Would this suffice to or should I really get a Genesis adapter?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big difference between AC and DC. Putting AC into a device expecting DC can permanently damage it. 10v "should" work, but I do not recommend the extra voltage as it will create additional heat in the unit which can eventually lead to failures. I assume you are in a PAL territory since you said Megadrive, so I'm not sure what system would have the proper power adapter. In North America the Sega Genesis Model 1 power adapter outputs 9v DC at 1.2amps.

If possible you should find a power adapter that will output 9v DC at atleast 850ma. If I'm mistaken and you are in North America, get a Sega Genesis model 1 power adapter. I just recommend it for use with copiers because its 9 volts, DC, and plenty of amperage to power most things.
Sp33dFr34k

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks for your reply.

I did some further research and it turned out, my adapter converts the AC signal to DC, also according to this site which sells the particular adapters.

However, I cannot get it to work. I already cleaned the contacts and fed the UFO a game on top, but it just won't work... I can hear the floppydrive spin the disk for about a second when I turn on the drive, but after that nothing happens..

I do not have any knowledge about this kinda stuff, so I was hoping someone could help me out with this, I would appreciate it.

P.S.: your first guess was right, I'm in PAL territory, the Netherlands to be exact Smile

EDIT: I noticed the floppydrive is showing no light, it IS making a very silent noise though.. Maybe the adapter isn't strong enough, but that would be strange, since it's a 10v 1.2a adapter... I tried switching the floppydrive with another one, but that didn't have any result either.
In this link the particular floppydrive shows a light..
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you SURE the unit you bought is supposed to be working? Or did you just buy it with no guarantee that it works? Power shouldn't be an issue. 1.2a is more than enough.

What do you mean exactly, won't work? Do you see the menu come up? Does it look like its working but the drive won't read anything? Be more specific.
Sp33dFr34k

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the incomplete information. I don't get a menu, it only shows a black screen.

I bought the item from someone, who obviously hasn't used it in years as he didn't know it should come with an adapter.

Maybe I should just return it, as I don't know what else to do with it. I opened the UFO, stripped it, cleaned the connectors etc. but nothing works. It looks good though and it doesn't smell burnt or something, so I really don't know what's wrong with it.

Thanks for your patience MottZilla!
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You unit might be missing the CIC. Have you tried putting a cartridge in?
Sp33dFr34k

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried putting a cartridge in it, but unfortunately no result either... I was looking on the PCB for a CIC, but there is none that I can find. Assuming there is supposed to be one in there...

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is, it's the 74LS112 in the bottom right but you have a blown up capacitor, probably the cause of your troubles.

See the CASE-CC on the top left? There should be a 16V1000uF capacitor there. Somebody probably plugged a bad PSU and blew it. It's easy to fix, just get a new one. You should also probe the 7805 voltage regulator to make sure everything is fine.
Sp33dFr34k

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your fast reply! Very Happy

Ah, the 74LS112 is the CIC. I was being adviced replacing this one by a CIC from a PAL game cartridge, would that make any difference?

I didn't notice there was something missing, thanks for clearing that up! I also noticed that there is a CASE-CC in the bottom right also, which is also missing?

Here is a picture I found in another thread on Tototek (which belongs to you Smile):

It looks like there are supposed to be 2 different capacitators? The one in the bottom right looks like there has never been a capacitator there though.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed you can replace it with a pal CIC for a pal console.

As for my ufo pictured there, it's an earlier version.
Yours is the Hyperversion with a bottom cart you can switch for a dsp one.
The Hyperversion only requires the the capacitor next to the ram board.
Sp33dFr34k

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll try to find the right cap then and switch the CIC for a PAL one I'm gonna take from a game cartridge. See if that fixes anything. If that's not it I'm going to take my hammer and let my frustrations out on the damn thing.. Rolling Eyes
Sp33dFr34k

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime I replaced the cap by a 25v1000uf one, but this didn't help much either, still no image onscreen... Only thing left to do is replacing the CIC by a PAL one, but somehow I feel like this isn't going to help either since I don't think this has been used in a NTSC snes...

So I guess this is it....? Crying or Very sad
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sp33dFr34k wrote:
In the meantime I replaced the cap by a 25v1000uf one, but this didn't help much either, still no image onscreen... Only thing left to do is replacing the CIC by a PAL one, but somehow I feel like this isn't going to help either since I don't think this has been used in a NTSC snes...

So I guess this is it....? Crying or Very sad

Mmm...the cap should work. Usually when you put a cartridge in the UFO, the CIC in the cart takes over the built in CIC, you can even take it out. As long as you put a PAL cart for a PAL console it should work.
I don't believe this UFO has a major problem, you should do some more probing on the cart's pins, check that none of the socketed ICs has a broken pin, probe voltage...these are the only hints I can give you so far. Maybe the problem is in your bottom cart? Have you opened it?

This is what it should look like (top=DSP; bottom=regular):
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: