ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game Doctor SF6 & CD7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coffeegod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Game Doctor SF6 & CD7 Reply with quote

Has anyone tried making their own parallel port CD-Rom drive to run on the SF6? I just ordered an external parallel cd-rom case from ebay thinking it may work.

Now I've read that you can make one using one of these cases plus an actual MKE drive and some sort of IC. I can't find a MKE drive or any other info on this. Anyone have some light shedding light on this?

Here's the link of the one I bought... probably should of asked here before I wasted my money but but impulse gets the better of me all the time.

h**p://cgi.ebay.com/External-IDE-CD-ROM-Parallel-Port-Enclosure-MD5X_W0QQitemZ360177725287QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item53dc43ef67&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_2963wt_734

Found a website that sells the Bung one for $180.... little pricey!

Thanks
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the homemade interface is compatible with SF6 or not. I do know that there is a CD7 that doesn't work on the GDSF3.

I haven't tried making one yet but I plan to do so. The parallel cd-rom enclosure you ordered should be fine. Basically what you are going to do is remove any interface they have inside it and wire the parallel port to both an IC and a IDC cable (basically the same thing people call an IDE cable). Then you'll also need to take the power supply and tap ground and +5v so that it goes to the drive but also the IC. That's pretty much it. If you do it well on the outside it shouldn't look any different. You'd just take a straight through parallel cable to connect it to the GDSF parallel port.

MKE drives are a proprietary set of drives, often called Panasonic type CD-ROMs which existed before IDE ones. They generally plugged into a SoundCard or I guess a dedicated CDROM interface card. They are pretty uncommon, and very old. You'll find them in speeds around 1X, 2X, and I guess maybe 4x but not likely anything faster.

I've seen the site that has them for $180. It is pricey if you can build your own interface. But if you can't then it's about your only option. I was thinking about building more than one so I would have some backups or just extra interfaces to sell.
madman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 extra MKE CD-ROMs that I'd consider selling.
coffeegod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
coffeegod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this possible? This stuff is just so old I can't find any real answers to it yet. I picked up the snes and the sf6 off of ebay for $50, the drive enclosure after shipping is another $50 CAN. Is it going to be worth the time and investment? Hmmmm....
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's possible. I'm not certain if TheDumper's interface works with GD3 or GD6, he only ever mentioned GD7.

Whether it is worth it or not depends on your usage of your GDSF6. If you plan to use it to the fullest then it will be worth it. Storing games on Floppy Disk is a hassle compared to CD. It's even better than using the PC link via parallel as it's simpler to use.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
Yes it's possible. I'm not certain if TheDumper's interface works with GD3 or GD6, he only ever mentioned GD7.

Whether it is worth it or not depends on your usage of your GDSF6. If you plan to use it to the fullest then it will be worth it. Storing games on Floppy Disk is a hassle compared to CD. It's even better than using the PC link via parallel as it's simpler to use.

Game Doctor III is not compatible with the CD7. I wish it was though. There is a 1st generation Bung CD-ROM drive that is compatible with it, but it's VERY rare. That one works with everything - I tried it already with the GDSF3 and GDSF6/7 (I only use it with the 96mb version of Star Ocean english patched - For everything else, I use my Disk Dual + 2GB compact flash card). Gamedoctorhk.com sells a compatible PCB kit for making your own CD7 clone, but you still need a case, and MKE drive (I got my MKE drive from ebay for $25).
coffeegod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does disk dual work on the sf6? I was under the impression that was only for the Wildcard Units...
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coffeegod wrote:
Does disk dual work on the sf6? I was under the impression that was only for the Wildcard Units...

disk dual only works for the super wildcard dx2. I have one and I put a compact flash IDE reader in there as well as 2gb compact flash card.
coffeegod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I think I have all the wrong stuff now! SWC DX2 with DD sounds great, too bad it's friggin rare too. If I could find one I'd probably ditch my CD7 plans even though I already paid for the case.

That CD7 PCB they sell is that everything I need? They don't have very good descriptions on that site for anything. Any sort of instructions come with it?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SWCDX2 with DiskDual is highly priced and the SWCDX2 in general is overrated. It's a good backup unit sure, but so are many others.

What CD7 PCB? To build a CD7 you need to simply connect a MKE drive to a 74LS244 IC and Parallel Port as well as a 0.1uF cap.

If you get that PCB that was shown here before, you need that PCB, a parallel port connector, a 40 pin IDC header, a 0.1uF cap, a 74LS244 IC, and a 4 pin molex power connector I believe.
madman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That PCB is a ripoff. Makes more sense to just wire it up yourself using some perf board.
coffeegod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCB did seem pretty expensive. MottZilla you don't happen to have the schematics for this do you?

By the sounds of it, seems like the PCB on gamedoctorhk is set up to use a normal IDE CD-ROM is it not? Molex?

I love building stuff, I'll see if my favorite electronics distributor DigiKey has the IC.

Thanks for all the help everyone, it really is appreciated. Seem's like everyone get's along here.... no long winded flaming threads that I've noticed yet Smile

I guess since I already bought the damn case I better go through with this now. What else could I possibly use an external parallel port case for lol... it is 2009 after all!
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got my CD7 PCB from gamedoctorhk.com It's a good solution for guys like me that have no soldering skills. Disk Dual and SWCDX2 can still be bought from Mr Lui @ FFE
coffeegod

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the site and I can't find any products. Is the a backdoor or something or email order only from him?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: