ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions reguarding Genesis clones etc.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mezmorizingmage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Questions reguarding Genesis clones etc. Reply with quote

Haven't had a Genesis since like '95, and I got interested while randomly looking up stuff on ebay. It was these "clone" systems I was checking out. I will most likely get a flash cart if anyone can confirm that this will work in a clone system. I like the composite and stereo output, plus the thought that it's brand new...

But there seems to be quite a few different ones, such as, but not limited to:
Attack of the clones:

I would want one that supports real hardware (controllers).

So I have some questions:

1. Is a standard Genesis region-free naturally? Like will a PAL PAR (Pro Action Replay) retail cart work in a USA system?

If not, what about these Genesis clones I see around the 'net? Since they are updated hardware or whatever, I would assume that they are region free...

2. What retail carts fit in what systems (region wise)?
3. I understand that a USA console will only play USA 32X ROM's, but you still must own the 32X hardware, correct?
4. Is the 32X the reason behind the region limits, or is it the console it's self?
5. This device is the only way to play hacks on real hardware, right?
6. If I use my composite to VGA box and a PC monitor, could I then play PAL games without the use of a switch on the system? (Cause I already know it will display PAL PS2 games correctly...)

I've personally already had port issues with my desktop PC running XP to connect to PS1 GSPro hacking utilities.
Even switching to a Windows 98 era laptop didn't fully fix the problem (would crap out during dumping etc).

I was finally able to use the laptop properly if I loaded a file for XP to have direct access... Here is that file. It's called TOTALIO.SYS and I even included a loader. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XHCBTOIV
Maybe it can be of use to someone here, I dunno.

Random stuff:
If USB is only used for a power supply, why not supply this $1.00 AC adapter?

There needs to be a compatibility (including with saves) thread!
For those of you who don't know, go to GSHI.org for codes. New codes are being made all the time, plus you can request codes (in the fourms)!

Off Topic:
If Chilly Willy see's this:
Hey dude ^.^

I'm positive you won't remember me, but you helped me fix my PSP 1000's 'keys' back in '07...

Thanks! It still works great to this day (but never gets used sadly).
Nice to see someone nice and as helpful as you around!

Last edited by Mezmorizingmage on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that the MD-Pro works on the Firecore based GenMobile and RetroGen clone handhelds. It's the only flash card that does work properly on the clones. I can't say about other clones, but most tend to be based on the Firecore system, so that's one thing to consider.

That image at the bottom right of your post of the RetroGen with the blank cart in it looks just like my RetroGen with the MD-Pro in it. Laughing

1 - Regular Genesis/MegaDrives are region-locked. A PAL game won't work in a US Genesis or vice versa (or Jap either). Many games are not region locked, so it mitigates the issue somewhat. Software like uCon64 can sometimes change the region codes so that the game works from flash.

2 - Japanese carts require you to "trim" the slot in a US or EU Genesis to fit properly. They are completely oval instead of having the "notch" on one side like US carts.

3 - Yes, you can't play 32X games without a 32X. Laughing

4 - Both the Genesis and the 32X check their region, so you can't mix and match them. No EU 32X on a US Genesis, for example. Again, the region info on games may be patched when written to flash allowing them to be played outside the region they were intended for.

5 - Many hacks can be played on real hardware, but some crash at certain points because the hackers didn't try their hacks on real hardware, only on emulators. For example, the most common crash is due to the hacker putting data on an odd boundary. Most emulators don't mind that, but real hardware will crash with an odd address error.

6 - As long as it handles PAL, then it should work with a Genesis modded to switch between NTSC and PAL. Note that it's hard to be certain as the signal most consoles (including the Genesis) generate are not quite according to broadcast specs. The horizontal retrace period is a bit off... the vertical retrace is as well, and also is non-interlaced most of the time. While most TVs can handle the signal, I've read some people have trouble using frame grabbers with their PCs... so it may affect things like the converter box as well.

I'm certain I don't remember at all. Laughing Good to hear it still works, even if you don't use it as much.
Mezmorizingmage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the answers!

I'll most likely get that RetroN 3 in the next month or so.
http://hyperkin.com/index.php/retro-gaming/retro-system-retron-3.html

If I do, I'll eventually get me a flash cart.
The S-Video, stereo sound, and original controller compatibility is what I like about the clone.

That same old "Designed for Windows '98" laptop (running XP) also flashed a modem, so I believe I'll already have a compatible printer port to flash it with...

It's a Dell Latitude CPt(s) if anyone is interested in cheap old (should be) compatible laptop.
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you turn it on, go into the BIOS setup and make sure the parallel port has an EPP mode. Some BIOSes don't seem to support that.
Mezmorizingmage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Hope FlashCart will work for this... Reply with quote

I went ahead and bought me the RetroN 3 since ebay had it for 10 bucks cheaper.

Also got me a Game Genie, I wanted a Pro Action Replay though...
I wonder why they are so expensive and hard to find?
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because there weren't many made, while GGs flooded the market.

Funny thing is, I've NEVER used my GG... I got it along with a bunch of other carts cheap when I was buying Genesis and SEGA CD games from stores dumping stock in the late 90's, but never have used it. Not even sure if it works. Laughing
Mezmorizingmage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically I'm getting all this just for codes.
I like to test a code I made on real hardware when possible.
I've already found 2 Genesis games with debug menu's, that were previously unknown, (many months ago).
After that I kinda got sidetracked with PSOne GameShark codes, but I would like to get back into some Genesis ROM hacking on the side.

I'm more of a RAM hacker than ROM hacker, that's why I would much rather have the Pro Action Replay.
I may be mistaken, but maybe they weren't sold in the USA and that's why they are so hard to find...

Also, after I save up and get the MDPro, I want to make a simple blog to post altered ROMs.
Stuff like what I've read in the older post (I read every post in the MD section) GG patched/Hex edited ROMs to load in other regions and such...

I already have 2 ROMs I've altered in a good way, and I know a couple people who would like some GG patched codes in some games.

Various useful patches, like this one thing I noticed in an old basketball game.
"In the Sega Genesis game Jammit, there is no "A" in the password input screen.
I noticed that in the ROM's hex there were 3 passwords of AAAAAAA.
I modified (You can modify) the A's to something inputable and and test it's effects.
I can confirm that 2 of the 3 hidden passwords in fact do something.

Example passwords:
Un-covered up Passwords
BBBBBBB - Unknown(?)
CCCCCCC - Always Win(?)
DDDDDDD - Versus Judge(?)"

Edit:
I forgot to put this link up:
http://codehut.gshi.org/
Tony makes region lockout codes and lots of interesting stuff all the time.
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice link. Codes are always appreciated. Very Happy
Mezmorizingmage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your extensive programming knowledge, I bet you could easily make some great codes if you wanted to Razz

I'm more into just finding unknown things instead of just having infinite health and stuff like that...

My Game Genie should be here tomorrow. It comes with WWF Royal Rumble, Sports Talk Baseball and Super Wrestlemania (I hate sports games LOL). It was either bid on this for 10 bucks or 'buy it now' only a Game Genie for the same price.

I still have a few more days till the system comes though. Without the MDPro for a while, I might go visit the local pawn shop that I believe still has old SNES controllers and such.

I would at minimum get one NES cart and one SNES cart, just to have the slots used...
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my hacking period back when the Atari 8bit home console was the system to be on. I hacked a lot of games, like Montezuma's Revenger, Conan, The Goonies, etc. My biggest and most popular hack was to Pitfall II - I did the hack that allowed save states to the floppy drive. You can tell it from the other hacks because it's 24KB, and it works all the way through instead of failing at the balloon like nearly all other hacks.

My hack was the only way to finish Pitfall II since the ending is so tough - jump, die, reload, jump, die, reload, jump, die, reload, jump, die, reload, jump, MADE IT ONE MORE POSITION!, save, jump, die, reload, jump, die, reload...
Laughing
Mezmorizingmage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's some amazing stuff.
I always like reading about classic hacking ^.^

The Atari was just a slight tad before my time. I remember seeing one at one of my friends house, and one at a pawn shop, but that's all.
Of the very few games I know of the Atari, Pitfall is one of them Razz

The NES, Game Gear, and Genesis were my first 3 systems.
I never even owned a Super NES, so I kinda can't wait for my clone to come in.
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never owned a SNES either, but got one (and an FC-16 Go clone) after getting the Neo Myth for SNES. My first console was an Atari 2600, then I got a Genesis, then the SEGA CD, then a 32X. I switched over to the PSX after that rather than getting the Saturn. I have since picked up a Saturn (cheap!) and the Dreamcast. It's much easier to get all those olde consoles now than back then. Laughing
Mezmorizingmage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have a Dreamcast, two PS1's and four PS2's but only two are in this house. Oh yeah, and a PSP 1000 and 2000.
I've had a N64, Virtual Boy, NES, GameGear and Genesis, seems like more, but that's all I can think of.

My 'Retron3' came in the mail already, and luckily the Game Genie indeed does work in it ^.^ Come to find out, I actually used to own Sports Talk Baseball. I didn't remember until actually booting it up and playing for a second, and everything seemed so familiar lol

I actually really like the system, and switching channels from a Genesis game using S-Video and composite was a huge difference in brightness as well as crispness. My biggest complaint is how the game feels while sticking out of the system. You can easily move it back and fourth, it's not very sturdy at all. Like it's huge dust covers instead of a tight space for the carts to go...

Couple more questions for ya:
Does the 32X work in your clone?
Is the Genesis clone(s) you have region free?
I cant really test mine out until I get either a different region game or the MDPro it's self...

Now It may be a little longer until I get the flash cart unfortunately. I'm mad at myself for doin' it, but I went ahead and bought a Pro Action Replay for $35, that I'm still waiting on. And on top of that, getting a 27" SDTV for $45 tomorrow. I don't usually spend so much money so close together, gotta quit that...
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mezmorizingmage wrote:
My 'Retron3' came in the mail already, and luckily the Game Genie indeed does work in it ^.^ Come to find out, I actually used to own Sports Talk Baseball. I didn't remember until actually booting it up and playing for a second, and everything seemed so familiar lol

I actually really like the system, and switching channels from a Genesis game using S-Video and composite was a huge difference in brightness as well as crispness. My biggest complaint is how the game feels while sticking out of the system. You can easily move it back and fourth, it's not very sturdy at all. Like it's huge dust covers instead of a tight space for the carts to go...

I think they do that for "compatibility" with all carts. If they made it the same as the Genesis, you'd have to "trim" the slot to allow Japanese carts, for example.

Quote:
Couple more questions for ya:
Does the 32X work in your clone?

My clones are hand-helds, so no, the 32X doesn't work with them. Wink Laughing

Quote:
Is the Genesis clone(s) you have region free?

Yes.

Quote:
I cant really test mine out until I get either a different region game or the MDPro it's self...

You'll have to burn different region games to the MD-Pro to check yours. Remember not to burn the rom with "fixes" applied, or you'll be testing the patch, not the clone's region support. Very Happy

Quote:
Now It may be a little longer until I get the flash cart unfortunately. I'm mad at myself for doin' it, but I went ahead and bought a Pro Action Replay for $35, that I'm still waiting on. And on top of that, getting a 27" SDTV for $45 tomorrow. I don't usually spend so much money so close together, gotta quit that...

Sound like good buys, though. I'd have done that myself. You can't beat an old-fashioned TV for playing old games on, and $45 is a good deal on a 27".

Pinch some pennies and you'll be getting that MD-Pro eventually. Cool
Mezmorizingmage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long delay, I just completed my order for the 64M cart!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: