ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CD7-compatible parallel-to-MKE CD interface board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark_k

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: CD7-compatible parallel-to-MKE CD interface board Reply with quote

Hi,

It would be great if you could make replacement/compatible parallel-to-MKE CD interface PCBs, like that in the CD7 external CD drive for the Game Doctor.

Used MKE CD-ROM drives (CR-562B/563B) are easy and cheap to find. But the interface/converter boards aren't.

-- Mark
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are free schematics available and plenty of places you can have it printed.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
There are free schematics available and plenty of places you can have it printed.

Though I wrote "PCBs", I meant ready-made boards, i.e. just "plug and go". I know the circuit is quite simple, but a professionally-made board would be cheap, and much nicer than anything I could cobble together myself (assuming I could find the time).

-- Mark
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why I suggested to have it (professionally) printed.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem with selling them is power. The CDROM requires 12 and 5v, if a professional PCB were sold, Tototek couldn't use the standard 9v anymore. Unless users were left to fend for power themselves for the CDROM. Then power could be tapped off the CDROM or the PCB could have its own power source for _1_ chip... This might not seem like a big issue but it is, your standard 12v (almost ALWAYS under 1.5A) adapter (assuming everyone went out and bought one for $20 specifically for this board) cannot supply enough power for both 5v @ 1A and 12v @ 1.2A or whatever the CDROM requires. One way to get the power is to have a custom power supply built for it. Will Tototek sell this too or will it be integrated? Will the PCB become a 4lb monstrosity? What is the PCB made to fit into? There are a lot of other issues to take into account.

This is a horrible amount of work for such a simple circuit that one could build themselves or pay to have it printed for a VERY small amount. Probably under $100! Think about it. Tototek probably couldn't sell this PCB for more than $10 since there is nothing to it. There is no profit to be made, unless they sold the entire CDROM setup themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> New Product idea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: