ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N64 backup units?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mozzie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: N64 backup units? Reply with quote

Hi,

I wonder, is Tototek going to sell (second hand) backup units for the Nintendo 64 in the near future?
I am very satisfied with the GD7 I recently received from them and would like to get my hands on a N64 backup unit as well.

Cheers
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N64 backup units aren't nearly as inexpensive as Game Doctor (SF7s.) I doubt that Tototek will sell any, but as the Doctor V64 Jr is a very simplistic copier its safe to assume that Tototek will someday release their own N64 device if they keep it up at this rate :)
rippin snare

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea I was wondering the same sort of thing. I too am really happy with my GD7 after I finally got it working correctly with my parallel port. I am wanting a N64 backup unit now and was wondering if I should even find a unit or is tototek going to make perhaps a flash cartridge for the N64? Maybe I'm being ignorant but I don't think the N64 has many 'special' chips in them like the SNES did on some games making it hard to make a flash cart for it. I and I am sure many other would love a flash cart for this system.

If a flash cart is out of the question what is the best/most recommended N64 device and where can one be found of this?

thanks
rippin snare

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I decided the V64Jr is the way to go as being the only one that supports 512M (thanks tomy).

Now.. does anyone here know exactly where a reputable place is to get one of these for a half decent price? Any info would be appreciated.

thanks.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mozzie... I just went searching on the net and found out that both N64 Zelda's are in fact only 256M in size! That means they CAN work with the CD64. I am wondering how exactly this unit is and if it can play all games with no problems. I love the idea of the CD drive to load roms. I would love to play paper mario, mario 64 etc on this. If anyone has any info on this unit please do let us know. I think I may get one now.

hmm....
Mozzie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to buy the parallel port adaptor as well. From what I understood you need it to backup your save games. And of course to backup games...but we've got Emule now Twisted Evil

Dis you order already?
rippin snare

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the parallel adapter a necessity? I thought the beauty of this unit was to load off cdrom? If you put the roms burned onto a cd from your computer why would you need the parallel port? if there is something I am missing please let me know!

As well.. I wrote success about this and they got back to me just now. To play zelda and other intensive games you will need the DS-1 expansion card as well to save your games etc. After that you should be set!

I am really happy about this unit except for one thing... and it really sucks... I was happy the zeldas would play (which they will upon confirmation of success) however paper mario wont play as it is a 320M rom =(

are you thinking of getting this unit?
rippin snare

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oi mozzie.. great forum post... check this

http://www.emuboards.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=8d56de4fec30515f0683f7b2979dc64a;act=ST;f=7;t=5535;st=0;r=1;&#entry41538

there is a really good link in there comparing all backup units... believe it or not it seems the v64jr is one of the worst... and.. the cd64 being one of the best! hmmm... I think my visa is going a little higher today...
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People's oppinions don't mean much, one great feature about the Z64 is that it can emulate save carts, the biggest pain in the ass about N64 copiers, thats pretty much the only difference between CD based ones. All are functionally the same, play all the same games depending on memory, as all of them can be expanded to 256M (besides the Wildcard 64/Supercom 64) they can play all but 5 or so games.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks. So the CD64 should be fine now for the price and readily availability. I think I may get this and the DS-1 save card for SRAM saves. I should be fine with that I reckon.
Mozzie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the CD64 come with 128Mbit or 256Mbit memory. And does Success sell memory upgrades as well?

PS. I was unable to add you to MSN I got the mail returned twice.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mail return tiwce?

pm me with your add and ill add you..

try again if you like

jnglboi@hotmail.com

now as for the ram thing... very good question. If you read the FAQ on success homepage it says they only ship 256. But.. if you click the url link explaining the device it says 128 upgradeable to 256. I already wrote success about this but haven't yet heard back. If it is 256 for that price wow. I will grab one the day I get a response. It is standard 72-pin EDO ram for the upgrade. Not that easy to find anymore as its like 10 year old ram. Used in the late 486 machines.

I will let you know as soon as I hear something back.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man you are not goign to believe this.

I just went to success homepage to get the CD64 and now it says OUT OF STOCK!

I don't believe my luck. I should have just grabbed one last week. I am unsure if they are going to make more as it is older now. Only time will tell unfortunately.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success has been out of stock of UFOs and CD64s for quite a few months now. Success was selling the CD64s with 256m of RAM but even if it were 128, it is just a standard 72pin computer SIMM.
Mozzie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I have to correct you on this one kyuusaku.
The CD64 does use EDO RAM, but it's not the same as a PC. The memory cards for the CD64 are home made by Success.
And rippin snare is correct. Success ran on their website officially out of stock only a few days ago. They resently had a restock, since they ran out of stock at the beginning of this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: