ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super-Magic Game Converter by Honey Bee question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Super-Magic Game Converter by Honey Bee question Reply with quote

I've got one of these Super-Magic Game Converter by Honey Bee, and I know for a fact that it doesn't work with FX chip based games, but I was curious if it works with SA-1, CX4, and DSP1 based games.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am not certain, but Super FX works through the cartridge pinout similar to how oher chips do. So if Super FX doesn't work it doesn't look good for other chips. This convertor, isn't it just a cartridge extension so that the catridge can phsyically be plugged in? It's strange why that would interfere with the chip operation.

But like I said before, if Super FX doesn't work, chances are no other chip games will either. My Game Doctor SF3 can play StarFox when the cartridge is inserted, but Doom (SuperFX2) will cause the system to hang at power on. Mega Man X2 and X3 also cause the system to hang. I haven't tried Metal Combat (OBC1).

Curious, your convertor is used for what to what? USA to JAPAN or JAPAN to USA? If you are doing japan to usa, you might be better off removing the blocking pins in the catridge slot to allow you to insert the cartridge directly. For USA to JAPAN it'd be alot harder. Removing the system casing would work if you really need to play a game with a chip.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really a cartridge extender (although, it sort of is). The Super-Magic Game Converter was made to allow European SNES's to play Japanese and American games by bypassing the region chip. You plug a "local" cart into the back and your "import" cart in the top, it reads the region chip off the local cart and runs the import cart. The device works both directions, and allows European games to be played on a USA/JPN console, or to play JPN/USA games on a USA/JPN console.

I use it to play American games on my Super Famicom. I could remove the system casing, but I don't really want to do that. I bought a SFC over an SNES cause I liked how it looked better. Worst case, I either import the Japanese cart (as I'm doing with Star Fox), or I double dip on a title (as in I buy a gamebit, I buy USA Doom, I buy Euro Doom, and I swap the boards).

Luckily, there aren't too many titles in these other chipsets that I want. I'm really trying to find out if these particular chips have the extra side pinouts on the board:

SA-1 (specifically Super Mario RPG)
CX4
DSP1 (specifically Pilot Wings and Super Mario Kart)

(I've heard that DSP1 works, but SA-1 doesn't, however my source on that was very shakey. I'd would be estatic if I could get confirmation on the pinouts on these games)
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can tell you right now C4 uses the 8 pin extensions on both sides.

SA-1 I'm not certain, but I do know SA-1 requires DIRECT access to the rom chip. DSP, Mario Kart is the only one I have and it does not use the extensions. SA-1 might not work cause I believe it works with the lockout chip directly or something like that.

Anyways, what are you talking about "double dipping" for? Why don't you just disable your lockout chip all together? It would probably save you alot of trouble. Then you could insert cartridges directly into the system, though some you may need to modify the casing to fit ofcourse.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I had the feeling that the CX4's used those extra pinouts.

I don't want to disable my lockout chip because all that would accomplish is being able to play Euro SNES games. It'd be more effort than what I would take out of it. And I don't really want to mess with my console. Messing with the carts is easier (even if it's more costly).
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, I got confused. I thought you had a Euro SNES. For playing USA games on your famicom that use chips, you should be able to find another adaptor cartridge that is a simple pass thru for all pins. That should work then. Shouldn't be hard to find.

http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/snes/peripherals/universaladaptors.html

That page shows various adaptors. I do not know how relieable the information on there is however.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that DSP works with the converter. I got both Pilot Wings and Mario Kart today, and they worked great (Mario Kart had a few issues, but these were worked out).

Now I'm curious about those SA-1 carts. I have a couple comming my way, so I'll get this sorted out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: