ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with SF7 which I ordered. What should I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ychh0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mozzie.
I tested format and backup.
It seems to format properly sometimes, not always. At first it showed "OK" after working, but the content was not erased. But in another trial, I could see the data was completely erased after working.
As for backup, it could not backup the game. I tested MARIO-KART (4M), but it did show "Disk Error !" just the same as I saw when loading image.
This SF7 must have problems in loading/writing disks. I'd rather tell TOTOTEK to change this to another properly working one. (In addition, they did not send one item among that I ordered)

As for loading from PC, I will check if this cable I tested is 1 to 1 25pin cable or not. I will buy new 1 to 1 25 pin and will test it.

Anyway, because of loading/writing problem, I will request TOTOTEK to change it to another one. I sent an email to them but reply was not arrived yet.

Thanks for your advices.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try replacing the floppy drive?
Mozzie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

BRAM being eraised when you briefly turn the SNES on and off, that's odd, it never happened to me so far.
You could use the Super Mode to play and save such games. Be sure to use the Write Saver option to save your game to a floppy. You will need one empty memory block of 8 Mbit to use the Saver in Super Mode. Saving to a floppy will also take 8Mbit. Cross your fingers it won't freeze at startup. Or else look for Revival Codes on the internet.

I am not familiar with the Try Mode. I can't check it since I sold all my cartridges Wink

Saving BRAM to your hard diks using TSF3:
TSF 1 /sf4007.B15
This saves the BRAM to file sf4007.B15 using port 1. The file is written to the same directory TSF is in.
Safe to another directory? TSF 1/C:\ROMs\Save\sf4007.B15
A typical save file is called SFXXXXX.BYY, where YY is 01 to 99

I also read that larger ROMs (32Mbit) might need patching to work with the BRAM in copiers. There patches are the SAVEFIX.IPS files. You can patch a ROM with Ucon64.

Cheers!
Mozzie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like kyuusaku suggests. Try replacing the floppy drive, they are dead cheap anyway Very Happy
As for the game you were backing up. Not all of the tests I suggested will work with Mario Kart. Mario Kart uses a special chip (DSP). The ROM won't work on an ordinary GD7. You'll need the blue DSP adaptor for that, duplicate the ROM and stuff... see other topics on this forum.

Good luck my friend!
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. I have the savefix.ips downloaded. I will try and apply it to any game that requires saving just be sure. I have no other way to find out which games require it and which don't so it will be trial and error. I know about the bram now thanks to you. I will just backup to floppy every time. I guess it's the price you pay for pirating.
vcdfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rippin Snare, I can't really reccommend anything that's not been suggested already to try on your unit, as I have a different back-up unit myself. However, you might want to have a look at the forums over at http://www.cherryroms.com and do a bit of searching around for stuff like which games need the safefix patch. Not sure if your aware of that website or not, but thought I's suggest it anyway, and I hope you manage to get your unit working.

vcdfan
rippin snare

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mate. I do know about that site unfortunately I can't take part in the forum. I registered but never was sent the activation string in my email like I said I would so my account never did finish authorization. I can't register again cause I keep getting an error saying I have an account pending. No one bothers responding to my emails to self-activate it for me either.

I can still browse however, just cannot ask or reply.
ychh0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Of course changing 3.5" disk drive may figure this problem out. But this one is just what I bought. I paid about a week ago and received it only 3 days ago. I would rather ask TOTOTEK to change this to another one.

And I bought blue DSP with this SF7 and I tested backup of MARIO KART inserting blue DSP. So that cannot be the reason of backup failure.

Anyway, I will buy another new adaptor and linking cable. If those fail again, I cannot but request TOTOTEK to change it to another properly working one.
Mozzie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems with Cherryroms forum?
Don't use an email address from hotmail/yahoo/etc. Those free email accounts are blocked.

Good luck
vcdfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rippin Snare, I've sent you a PM with an e-mail address for the guy you need to contact about your account at Cherryroms. He shd sort you out, it's worth doing as there's a wealth of information on that board, which you probably already know if you can browse it Very Happy

vcdfan
rippin snare

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I for sure do know. I guess my problem is the fact that I have a yahoo account. Though this is my only account. I guess im SOL.
dbjh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rippin snare wrote:
One last thing... I heard a rumour someplace that some games need a file called SAVEFIX.IPS... what exactly is this? How do I know what games need this applied to them to make them save properly in the GD7 and would it hurt to just apply them to all my saved style games to ensure I won't lose them?

SAVEFIX.IPS changes one byte in the GD3 header that tells the GD how much "SRAM" it should make available to the game. This patch is only needed if you converted the game with a tool that doesn't create a proper GD3 header (like inSNESt). If you convert a ROM dump with uCON64, it will create a proper header, thus you won't need to apply that patch. The byte can have several values so I don't recommend to apply SAVEFIX.IPS to all your games in GD3 format.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah awesome. Thanks for the feedback matey I appreciate it. Luckily I didn't go ahead with my idea as it would have been a stupid mistake. All I use is ucon64 so I guess that header byte change should be ok.

Say... I am wondering one thing as well. How do you convert a .smc to a GD3 format that is greater than 32M? Tales of phantasia won't convert to a GD3 from a .smc as it says file >32M. Coversion not yet implemented. Any help would be great.

As well... did you get someone to test ucon4 with MD-PRO? I want to see if a new release is going to be due soon.
rippin snare

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah awesome. Thanks for the feedback matey I appreciate it. Luckily I didn't go ahead with my idea as it would have been a stupid mistake. All I use is ucon64 so I guess that header byte change should be ok.

Say... I am wondering one thing as well. How do you convert a .smc to a GD3 format that is greater than 32M? Tales of phantasia won't convert to a GD3 from a .smc as it says file >32M. Coversion not yet implemented. Any help would be great.

As well... did you get someone to test ucon4 with MD-PRO? I want to see if a new release is going to be due soon.
dbjh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rippin snare wrote:

What version do you use? 1.9.8-1 converts ToP just fine (just verified it). What information does uCON64 display?

rippin snare wrote:

Yes. Well someone found me :-) Transferring games goes fine, but there seem to be some issues with creating multi-game files. There is also an issue with transferring SRAM files. The guy who is testing for me said he will continue tonight. So, maybe a new version will be out tomorrow. If not tomorrow then Sunday night as I want to get uCON64 off my mind ;-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: