ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Few questions on special chips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katzinator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Few questions on special chips Reply with quote

I just ordered the following:

-SUPER-FLASH 64M Card kit for SNEX
-CIC-161 Chip (Japan) for SUPER-FLASH 64M Card
-SUPER T CONNECTOR for SUPER-FLASH CARD

I plan on using this on my USA SNES, however, I am still a bit unclear on game support. I understand there are a variety of different chips some games use (DSP1, SuperFX, etc.) and thus require that an actual game cartridge using the same chip be plugged into the T-connector, correct?

So basically, in order to play some DSP games, I would need to plug in Mario Kart to the T-connector, since it has the DSP chip inside. This being said, I heard there are issues with the SRAM and Mario Kart, that the two might have a conflict.

My questions are:

-What game(s) should I buy that have the chips I need to play the most games with the least conflicts? Should I buy DSP games with no SRAM to avoid problems with saving on the flash cart?

-What special chips are unsupported?

-Will I need the exact chip for the games I am trying to play? (example: Kirby Super Star for all SA-1, Pilot Wings for all DSP1, Starfox for all Super FX etc.)
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it might work for DSP1, but certain chips like SA-1 and SuperFX have direct ROM access thus there is no way to use the chip in another cartridge with the flashrom on the tototek cartridge.

Other than emulators, and manually soldering an EPROM or FlashROM on a SA-1/SuperFX/etc. cartridge, you're outta luck for those games. Same with ALL backup devices for SNES.
katzinator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying about the DSP1.

When you refer to soldering an EPROM, you are referring to the methods used over at http://snesdev.romhack.de/ right?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. That's the idea. Technically you could use a PROM or MaskRom too, assuming you have a similar IC and wire it up correctly.

I think when you add up the costs you're better off buying an original of anything that exists, and saving any EPROM hacks for translations or beta games (Star Fox 2).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: