ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SWC DX2 JAZZ Drive setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bishop702

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:36 am    Post subject: SWC DX2 JAZZ Drive setup Reply with quote

Hello all, I thought some of you would really love this info.
After pulling out my SWC DX2 from storage and my 2gb JAZZ Drive,
I have found my old Cherryroms file on how to set it up and just tested it with
my 2gb JAZZ drive. So here goes it:
Hardware setup. Setting up the cable from the JAZZ drive to the SWC
1. You need the JAZZ Traveller Plugged into the JAZZ Drive
2.Then the JAZZ Drive cable plugs into that which is scsi
3. Then the JAZZ Cable plugs into a scsi to parallel Adapter that the JAZZ Drive comes with.. its Grey.
4. Plug the JAZZ Drive 25 pin adapter into the parallel port on the SWC DX2.
NOW THE CABLE SETUP IS COMPLETE..

Jumper settings on the JAZZ drive are next.
1. Set the SCSI PORT TO 6.. This is important or it will not work.
2. There is a 3 way switch just under the SCSI Port ID setting,
Move that switch to the FAR LEFT parameter.
3. All the settings for the drive to be recognized are done!

Now things to know..
1.You can not format the JAZZ disks on the SWC DX2, they have to formatted by Windows. I have used both Win98se and WinXP to do this.
2. All files must follow the 8.3 filename dos standard.
3. YOU CAN USE DIRECTORIES. Just follow the DOS standards. So for example I have Directory (FOLDER) A and B and C and so on on my 1gb disk and place my games starting with A in A and B files on B and so on.
Now to access them on the SWC DX2, use the direction pad when you highlight the A DIRECTORY and push right, now you can switch pages with L AND R.. this keeps the files neat.
I loaded all my files from windows onto the disk
If you try to format the JAZZ from the SWC DX2 you will only get 100mb.
I know this works because I am using it right now to load CLAY FIGHTER TOURNAMENT AND Chronos Trigger.
Also this works with the 1gb JAZZ drives. all my drives are BLACK.

This is very lost info from the 90s, hope it helps people enjoy their SWC dx2 from those who could not find or afford the HARD DRIVE UNIT for the SWC DX2.
If you try this out let me know here how it went as other may not beleive it as it was so lost for so long. Enjoy!

Bishop702
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is neat! I've had these adapters on my eBay wishlist forever but never got around to get one.

I recall having read that this adapter could also be used for other SCSI storage peripherals but I guess it's a bit far stretched.
Bishop702

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin thank you for all the info you have posted over the years, it has helped me alot in repairing some of my collection. I glad I am finally have the time to give back to you and the community. I have some more secrets I have uncovered but can't figure out how they work for the GDF6..I will posting more on that soon..

If you need the model number of the JAZZ drive just let me know, I have been able to use the 2gb disk with out issue, I have 1 2gb disk and 4 1gb disks all set up differently. It works like a charm..

And I heard the same thing that these drives can be hacked to run a scsi drive but was never able to do it.
Took me forever to find that one screen pic of the cheeryroms screen pic regarding the jazz drive decades ago, so glad I found it for all the dx2 owners out there.

UPDATE: The version I have is the 1st generation GREEN flat body with
model number V2000S
Serial Number DFXV2000S
I also use the IOMEGA SCSI to USB to attach it easily to newer systems
model number SCSI USBA

More to come!
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bishop702, I'm happy this could be useful to you and the community.
I realize you're the owner of CherryRoms which was really helpful also back in the days, as well as Red#9 from NorQue. You guys paved the way Razz

Thanks for your offer but I've got a lot on my plate regarding fixing and restoring some gear at the moment but I'll make sure to come back to it if I ever get that adapter Wink
NorQue

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that makes sense. Hey R*, long time no see! Remember that German guy from way, way back?
Bishop702

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to correct you but I had nothing to do with Cherryroms..but I did alot of backing up of their info. I honor those pioneers and there work. I am though one of the 1st sellers of these device in Toronto Canada back in the 90s so I got to try all the back up units and collected a bunch for my self. I was a phreaker back then hacking bells and Ibms long distance line so I could get the files from Germany and UK at no cost on 2400 baud..and distribute them here.LOL

NorQue you got beginning of my name correct.. You remember the old days and my name. Its a surprise. In Vegas now living the life, let me know if you ever come down here, we can connect. I beleive I remember the German guy, it's been a while.. I do remember getting my units out of the back of HARVEY'S RESTAURANT in Scarborough and the game shop I hung out at near Hillcrest Mall..

Bishop702
Old alias..GladHeAter also known as Rob from Toronto.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, well that's always great to hear the old schoolers are still around and preserved that lost knowledge.
NorQue

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bishop702 you share a first name with the owner of Cherryroms then. I used to hang out in his IRC channel *way* back in the late 90s/early00s and did a very unsuccessful German translation of his site for a very short while.
Bishop702

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorQue it's still good to here from an old schooler like me.. If it wasn't for guys like you I would have had the ability to distribute the wares.. I didn't do it for money, never sold a game, but I sold a ton of copiers unit Canadian law caught up and place electronic copyright laws. Until then it was the wild west and we enjoyed it.

Check out my next post later this week when I get out my magic Game Professor SF6, later this week.. I will explain further in the next post but it can do something none of my other game doctors can't do and I don't know why.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: