ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The king of Copiers 2008!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfeman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, you asked if I had a problem with command line and the answer is YES but it's out of laziness mostly not stupditity. I'm on a Mac OSX format as my main computer so I can not get the use of cool GUI front ends for Ucon64 unless I switch to my PC or Virtual PC.

I would like to see the software you're talking about though, sounds very cool. You say you coded it yourself? Have you shared it with the world?

The Z64 with the hacked bios is really really nice. I have a 4GB Compact Flash card that holds all the N64 roms I'd want to play and then some, so there's no messing with zip disks and it is that reason I think the WildCard DX2 makes for a better SNES backup in many respects due to the ease by which you can find a disk dual and add a compact flash adaptor to it for hard drive loading of your snes collection.

I agree also about the PowerPak, best $$$ I ever spent on a flash cart since the GBX.

Can you explain what you said about the "Sega CD ROM loading of roms" ?? since when can you load roms via the sega cd ? that's a new one on me if so. please explain
madman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a frontend for sending to a GDSF copier, just download a uCON frontend. If I recall, it'll convert SMC ROMs on the fly to GD format.

Back in the day of the 16-bit scene, the SWC line were considered the best, nobody in the States or Europe (where the BBS scene was at the time) really had any Bung products. Pro Fighters were probably the next most common followed by MGH. The MGH series was, and still is, known for being of poor quality. I've owned a lot of SNES copiers and while I still love my 24m SWC for nostalgic reasons, I find the GDSF7 to be a lot nicer. Holds multiple ROMs, looks much sleeker than a boxy SWC and has a great menu system. The SWC DX2 menus are annoying to me, I much prefer the original SWC menus. SWC > SWC DX > SWC DX2.

I have both an MD+ and SMD, they're both pretty similar for me and if I'm playing Genesis prefer them both over the ugly DPF. The SMD wins for matching the original look of the Genesis/MD.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day when I was making professional copies (color labels, etc), I wrote an application that did a bit more automation than regular front-ends at the time did.

All you did was pick an image, pick a copier format, pick a floppy disk size, override the default internal rom title (if needed - some copiers like to read this for display before game loading), and it would convert, unprotect, chunk, format, copy, and request additional disks as required.

Basically I was doing so much copying I needed something that would duplicate and do everything as fast as possible (like a copier would), but use ROM images rather than actual carts. After I wrote that application, most of my time was spend just shoving floppies into my computer since there was no automated way to swap disks. I've seen some floppy drive arrays that could do bulk floppy copies, and perhaps I could use Lego mind-storm to make some automated floppy swapping mecha, but it's faster just to swap disks out manually.

One of these days I should update the UI for that app so it looks like a SuperUFO or Supercom32 menu/bios. That would be neat.

EDIT: Hey, found my source code (surprised). Maybe I'll take a look at updating the code and compiling a new binary.
Wolfeman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trenton_net wrote:

EDIT: Hey, found my source code (surprised). Maybe I'll take a look at updating the code and compiling a new binary.

I would be very interested in trying an app that does as you described... sounds perfect for a lazy ass like myself. It would be very nice to get it in an OSX format but I'll certainly settle for dos or some flavor of windows that I can emulate on my Mac
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ucon frontend I tried certainly did not convert on the fly for me. Maybe it was outdated, but unless it is a very new feature then I doubt it. To use the ucon frontend I had you had to select an already converted GD3 rom. And absolutely no zip support.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I heavily used my copiers I just added ucon64 to my computer's path in order to send from any folder, then made a simple batch file for my desktop:

"ucon64 -xgd3 %1"

Then I just dragged ROMs into the batch...
rbudrick

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rarest backup systems are Kyuusaku's Neo backup system and his FDS backup system, lolz. Laughing

Those, and Tomy's FDS backup system, heh heh.

To newbs who are reading this, don't get your panties in a bunch, these never existed commercially.

-Rob

Last edited by rbudrick on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
zvarri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfeman wrote:
Trenton_net wrote:

I would be very interested in trying an app that does as you described... sounds perfect for a lazy ass like myself. It would be very nice to get it in an OSX format but I'll certainly settle for dos or some flavor of windows that I can emulate on my Mac

Same here. A program like that would save me a lot of hassle with my GDSF7. I too am a Mac user, so a port would be nice, but I have access to Windows so it wouldn't be any problem otherwise.
rcade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfeman wrote:
Can you explain what you said about the "Sega CD ROM loading of roms" ?? since when can you load roms via the sega cd ? that's a new one on me if so. please explain

The Megacart lets you flash games to the cart using a SegaCD and a disk with the ROMs on it. It's kind of slow to do, but it works.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcade wrote:
Wolfeman wrote:

The Megacart lets you flash games to the cart using a SegaCD and a disk with the ROMs on it. It's kind of slow to do, but it works.

I never heard of the Megacart. Do you have a link with pics/specs/info?
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastbayarb wrote:
rcade wrote:
Wolfeman wrote:

I never heard of the Megacart. Do you have a link with pics/specs/info?

Dude, It's a ToToTek product
http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12
Live_Steam_Mad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking for a SNES copier or other device that supports the ability to have at least one Real Time Save (Save State) for games that do not normally support this for example Desert Strike.

If any of the copiers that have been mentioned above do this, can some kind soul please explain to me how you use this feature and if it works good and reliably?

Also I would like to be able to back up my Real Time Save / Save State to disk / memory card.

I am not talking about the use of emulators here, only real SNES hardware.

I just got a USA SNES and am having great fun with it but would like the save feature.

Help!

Alistair G.
madman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no 100% reliable RTS on SNES copiers. You may get a save that works perfectly, one that has sound issues, one with graphic issues or one that just doesn't work at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: